MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 5:44:33 AM

From the Alexandria Gazette, Alexandria VA.
----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
PA UK

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 5:57:36 AM

What an excellent series of vignettes you pitch to us , Larry ....it’s important that you are aware of how much they’re appreciated, even if they elicit no response .

I find it remarkable how the various journals veer between wishful thinking and striking candour.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 8:15:58 AM

Quote:
What an excellent series of vignettes you pitch to us , Larry ....it’s important that you are aware of how much they’re appreciated, even if they elicit no response .

I find it remarkable how the various journals veer between wishful thinking and striking candour.

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil. Glad you're enjoying this years coverage of the Gettysburg campaign. Newspaper archives hold a vast untapped wealth of information . My plan for the coming winter months is to visit our local historical society and gather as much information as possible on units from Susquehanna County PA that were in the battles at Gettysburg. Mostly I will be looking for soldiers accounts published in August and September 1863 when memory's were fresh. Should be an enjoyable task.

Larry
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 8:16:20 AM

Hi Larry,

I agree with Phil, & would add that today's series of articles is the best to date!

Remarkable, & thanks,
MD

BTW Gotta read them again!
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
JPM
Gettysburg
PA USA

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 9:06:22 AM

Larry,

Wonderful job putting this together again!

John
John M
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 11, 1863
Posted on: 7/11/2019 1:58:42 PM

I may keep going past July 14th if I can enough material to be relevant. I sometimes look at 30-40 articles before choosing one.

Larry.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC