AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Waterloo---1970 Movie
Posted on: 7/1/2017 3:16:09 AM
Waterloo is an almost near-definitive staging of the famous 1815 battle, made as a co-production between Italy, America, and Russia. Dino De Laurentis can certainly be proud of his work on this film, which is one of the finest visual stagings of a famous battle ever.

It's quite amazing to sit back and watch a film which had the money to cast thousands of much-needed extras to give the film a real authentic feel. If they made it today you just know it would all be CGI, whereas in Waterloo it's real.

Running at two hours, the first hour of this is the set-up, bringing the main players on both sides to life. Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer are well cast in fire and ice roles, Steiger was absolutely magnificent as the giant in miniature Napoleon and Plummer brought a cool head and a cold sneer to the part of Wellington.

The supporting cast includes old reliables like Ian Ogilvy, Terence Alexander, and Jack Hawkins, also making use of Virginia McKenna's icy beauty and Orson Welles's larger-than-life persona. Dan O'Herlihy also makes a convincing Marshal Ney.

Overall, Waterloo is a treat for the historical fan among us, offering great old-fashioned spectacle of the like you just don't get these days.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Re: Waterloo---1970 Movie
Posted on: 7/1/2017 5:14:44 PM
There is apparently an hour of missing footage of this film.
More of the Quatre Brass battle and the Prussians at Ligny?

How spectacularly impressive is the charge of the Scott's Greys and the sweeping overhead shots of the French Cavalry battling the British squares?

This is my favourite historical war movie followed by the 1970's Charge of the Light brigade and Gettysburg.

I own the Video, DVD and the novel from the movie, both are viewed frequently.

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Posted on: 7/2/2017 9:57:30 AM
Incredible movie. Brilliant acting performances.

My favorite quote:

"To my dear Prince Alexis... I did not "usurp" the crown. I found it, in the gutter, and I, I picked it up with my sword, and it was the people, Alexis, the people who put it on my head. He who saves a nation violates no law."
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/2/2017 10:23:15 AM
Bravo lp -an excellent reply-Steiger in the role of Napoleon was stupendous-I thought he put all other cast members in the shade-the movie was absolutely breathtaking in it's colossal scope of sheer beauty, colour and movement.

Regards

Jim
---------------

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/2/2017 10:37:30 AM
wazza-apologies that I missed your post-I did not realise that a whole hour had been cut-I would have loved to have seen Quatre Bras and Ligny
Re The Charge of the Light Brigade- which oddly enough- I watched the day after Waterloo-here I thought the production was ruined entirely by the endless array of Punch cartoons; and I fervently hope that the stupid interaction between Lords Lucan and Cardigan- which was singularly childish-did not happen on the day.Poor old Raglan looked as if he was completely doolally. Most disappointing- all in all- I thought.

Regards

Jim
---------------

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/3/2017 3:47:33 AM
I treat the punch cartoons as part of setting the mood of the times. Optimistic in rule Britannia!
The movie mocks the military establishment, I think that is why I am particularly fond of it.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/3/2017 4:45:21 AM

Quote:
I treat the punch cartoons as part of setting the mood of the times. Optimistic in rule Britannia!
The movie mocks the military establishment, I think that is why I am particularly fond of it.
--wazza

i have to say -quite fairly-that was reason WHY i did not take to this movie.However wazza- my thanks for your forthrightness.

Regards

Jim
---------------

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/4/2017 2:58:37 AM
No worries Jim.

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 10:53:54 AM
I added this film to my collection some time ago. It is a Russian-produced DVD with both English and Russian language versions.

A magnificent achievement. Stirring and sweeping re-creation of the events at Waterloo. A film that, once seen, makes one see the fakery of even the best done CGI.

Respect, Morris
---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 11:04:25 AM
Bravo Morris-welcome to the clan of great movies and this an eye opener of it's time-a magnificent Dino de Laurentis production of breathtaking proportions-as you say no fakery- just reality.What else do you have- as a pure matter of interest????

Regards

Jim
---------------

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 12:45:51 PM
Well Jim, I have several films of military nature. "Glory" a very good telling of the 54th Massachusetts regiment. "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals."

"Patton" based upon a couple of books I have read, and one of the better biographical films of any military figure.

"We Were Soldiers" the story of the first major battle between US forces and North Vietnamese in the Ia Drang valley.

"Zulu" a damn good movie regardless of liberty`s taken in facts...most of the fighting takes place during the day when much took place during the darkness of the night. I also like the 2002 version of "The Alamo"..because it is a more fact-based telling of the actual events...showing the final Mexican assault taking place in the early morning darkness, (though I am certain that Crockett died in the lunette along the West wall and was not taken prisoner and executed as the film depicts.)

" A Bridge Too Far" and I mean no disrespect to those who are fans of Montgomery, but a tribute to the men who were sacrificed upon the alter of the sometimes foolishness of military high command.

"Master and Commander" is not really based on real life historical events but it is an excellent film to see if one wants to get a feel for early nineteenth century naval warfare during the time of Napoleon. " One must always choose the lesser of two weevils."

"Lawrence of Arabia" a beautiful epic film of overlooked military operations that were never really "a side show of a side show" and which foretells the struggle we live with even today.

And, last but not least, "Band Of Brothers' and "The Pacific" two outstanding mini-series productions that chronicle true events in America`s World War Two.

The only such film that I don`t have in my collection is "Son Of The Morning Star" an excellent telling of Custer and the last stand of the Plains Indian tribes based upon Evan S. Connell`s wonderful book. It is the property of Republic Pictures...and for some reason I am not aware of them re-releasing the film on Blue-Ray...which sucks.

Respects, Morris

---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 1:29:03 PM
A cracking list Morris-have watched them all except the mini series Pacific.

Here are some of my other favourites :-

Gladiator-Romans
Kingdom of Heaven-Crusades
Henry V-Agincourt
Rob Roy-Scottish Hero
Dances with Wolves-Western
Open Range-Western
Lawrence of Arabia-WW1 Middle East
Passchendaele-WW1 Western Front
The Blue Max-WW1 German Flying Aces
The cruel Sea-WW2 Battle of the Atlantic
Th Dambusters-WW2 Air War
Stalingrad-WW2 Russia
Enemy at the Gates-WW2 Russia
Hacksaw Ridge-WW2 Pacific

Regards

Jim

---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 8:58:05 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it, the full movie!

[Read More]

Cheers,
MD

just the trailer,

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

The Military Media Room    
 Forum Ads from Google