AuthorMessage
Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Confederates with air-rifles
Posted on: 2/22/2017 1:05:31 PM
In his Gettysburg report COL Patrick, CO of the 5th Ohio related:

”During the rest of that day and the night following, they annoyed us considerably with their sharpshooters. Some of them had air-rifles, and we could not discover their whereabouts. At night the flashes of the regular rifles can be seen, but there is no warning from the air-rifle.”
(OR, Pt 1, pp 840)

Does anyone have any information on the “air-rifles” Patrick referred to?
---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Re: Confederates with air-rifles
Posted on: 2/22/2017 3:08:24 PM
Interesting! A quick google search and I found this very subject was being discussed on another forum:

[Read More]

Looks like this could have been the air-rifle Patrick was referring to:

[Read More]

Learn something new about the Civil War every day. Had no idea air-rifles existed back then. Gives a whole new meeting to "you'll shoot your eye out kid!" At 800 PSI I'm sure those puppies could!
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

tom barrett
Turbotville, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 2/22/2017 5:31:33 PM
The late Stephen Ambrose wrote a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition called, I believe, "Undaunted Courage." He told about Lewis and Clark's party having an air rifle. The native Americans were supposed to be impressed with the rifle's silent capabilities. That was some decades before the American Civil war.

Best Regards,

Tom
---------------
"To a pilot , the most important thing in the world is flight. To share it is without price."
Richard Bach

tom barrett
Turbotville, PA, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 2/22/2017 6:36:58 PM
I should know enough by now to click on the offered links before posting a reply. The Lewis and Clark air rifle was already covered in the links above. My mistake. Since I'm here: Some friends of mine knew Stephen Ambrose. Years ago a B-17 and a B-24 were on display at Williamsport, PA, Lycoming County airport. My friends had a picnic for Mr. Ambrose at their home the evening before the planes arrived. My work schedule precluded my attending the picnic but they introduced me to Mr. Ambrose next day. He'd just returned from a ride in the B-24 and told me they let him fly it. I told him I had a Piper Cub I'd let him fly some time if he was interested. He possibly was just being polite but said he'd be interested in my offer because he'd mentioned Piper Cubs in his books on the ETO of WWII. Unfortunately, he passed away before that could be arranged.

Tom
---------------
"To a pilot , the most important thing in the world is flight. To share it is without price."
Richard Bach

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg    
 Forum Ads from Google