AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

July 5,1863 news
Posted on: 7/5/2017 8:26:26 AM

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: July 5,1863 news
Posted on: 7/5/2017 11:36:15 AM
Hi Larry,

Interesting about how Southern Newspapers kind of sugar coat a military loss,

and fascinating small article on return awards for slaves!

regards,
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 7/5/2017 11:58:24 AM
M.D.,

In the days & weeks following the battle, once the casualty lists and participant accounts started trickling in, Southern editors were far from claiming victory @ Gettysburg.

I'm assuming the above account came from a July 5th newspaper, published just as the ANV was withdrawing and heading back to the Potomac. Accurate information had not yet reached Richmond. Southern papers were dependent on Northern newspaper accounts until war correspondents with Lee's army such as Peter Wellington Alexander (P.W.A.) were able to get their accounts published. PWA was rather critical of the campaign and what transpired, but it was mid-July at the earliest before his anticipated reports were received and published for public consumption.

Best Regards,

Greg
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/5/2017 12:29:27 PM
Truth to tell, I've been surprised at the degree of candour and criticism that I've seen in some of the Southern newspaper articles that Larry has posted.

Indeed, I'd go as far to say that they were more unrestrained and challenging than their Northern counterparts.

There is grist to the mill here, for those who prefer to depict the Confederacy as a more enlightened and transparent form of governance than many of us might think.

Regards , Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/5/2017 1:34:52 PM

Quote:
Truth to tell, I've been surprised at the degree of candour and criticism that I've seen in some of the Southern newspaper articles that Larry has posted.

Indeed, I'd go as far to say that they were more unrestrained and challenging than their Northern counterparts.

There is grist to the mill here, for those who prefer to depict the Confederacy as a more enlightened and transparent form of governance than many of us might think.

Regards , Phil
--Phil andrade

For whatever reason the Southern newspapers seem more truthful and frank in reporting war news. Not that they weren't above slanting or outright false spin on military operations.

Larry
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg    
 Forum Ads from Google