AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

July 3, 1863
Posted on: 7/3/2018 6:27:14 AM

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: July 3, 1863
Posted on: 7/3/2018 8:44:30 AM
Hi Larry,

I see that this year your putting more of a political twist on the Gettysburg area in summer of 1863. Interesting but I'd like to read a interesting account on what happened on day 3 at the Burg! I'm sure you'll come through on it. But politics do seem to mix with warfare, don't they? Do you think the Democrats or Republicans were most influential in Pennsylvania at this time?

Carry on, you do a great job!

Cheers,
MD

BTW I know photography was in it's infancy but do you run into many picture printed in the news papers of the day?
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 7/3/2018 10:24:08 AM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

I see that this year your putting more of a political twist on the Gettysburg area in summer of 1863. Interesting but I'd like to read a interesting account on what happened on day 3 at the Burg! I'm sure you'll come through on it. But politics do seem to mix with warfare, don't they? Do you think the Democrats or Republicans were most influential in Pennsylvania at this time?

Cheers,
MD

BTW I know photography was in it's infancy but do you run into many picture printed in the news papers of the day?
--Michigan Dave

M.D.,

Great question regarding Pennsylvania politics. Check out this link showing a county
breakdown between Republican Andrew Curtin, and Democrat Henry Foster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_gubernatorial_election,_1860

In 1860 Curtin beat Foster by 32,116 votes, winning with 53.26 % of the votes.

Of course, Pennsylvania today is a toss-up state with liberals heavy in the large cities and conservatives strong in the small towns and rural areas.

Regarding photographs in newspapers, that did not begin until later in the 19th century.

Best Regards,

Greg
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/3/2018 12:43:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Cheers,
MD

--Michigan Dave

As the battle news becomes available I will post more. Politics was a front page item nearly every day. Each party pushed their views very hard. Thanks for taking time to read my posts.

Larry
---------------

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/3/2018 12:48:26 PM
Check out this link to battle news. Somewhat accurate.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/167924476/?terms=Gettysburg
---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/3/2018 1:13:20 PM

Quote:
Check out this link to battle news. Somewhat accurate.

[Read More]
--Larry Purtell

Thanks Larr,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Forum Ads from Google