BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

From Gibraltar to Madeira
Posted on: 6/23/2017 5:52:12 AM

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: From Gibraltar to Madeira
Posted on: 6/23/2017 6:58:29 AM
BW, Madeira is part of Portugal isn't it? And an island, I think. Did the British transport these people from Gibraltar or did they flee on their own?

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 7:18:06 AM
 Evacuated by the British. England and Portugal apparently had an alliance dating back to the 1300's, and Churchill used it to some extent to obtain assistance from the Portuguese.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 6/23/2017 7:29:19 AM
The largest evacuation was to the UK undertaken by the British Admiralty and RN ships.The 2000 or so that landed at Funchal, Madeira was also undertaken by the Royal Navy.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 7:50:14 AM
Going back to WW1, was it the German shelling of Madeira from a u-boat that brought the Portuguese into the war?

Cheers,

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 8:18:09 AM

Quote:
On March 9, 1916, Germany declared war on Portugal, followed by Portugal declaring war on Germany and starting to organise Portuguese troops to go to the Western Front.

The effect of the Portuguese participation in World War I was first felt in Madeira on December 3, 1916 when the German U-boat, U-38, captained by Max Valentiner went into Funchal harbour on Madeira and torpedoed and sank 3 ships, CS Dacia (1,856 tons), SS Kanguroo (2,493 tons)[5] and Surprise (680 tons). The commander of the French Gunboat Surprise and 34 of her crew (7 Portuguese) died in the attack. The Dacia, a British cable laying vessel, had previously undertaken war work off the coast of Casablanca and Dakar, was in the process of diverting the South American cable into Brest, France.

Following the attack on the ships, the Germans proceeded to bombard Funchal for two hours from a range of about 2 miles (3 km). Batteries on Madeira returned fire and eventually forced the Germans to withdraw.

In 1917 on December 12, two German U-boats, U-156 and U-157 (captained by Max Valentiner) again bombarded Funchal, Madeira. This time the attack lasted around 30 minutes. Forty, 4.7 inch and 5.9 inch shells were fired. There were 3 fatalities and 17 wounded, In addition, a number of houses and Santa Clara church were hit.

Wikipedia

Regards

Jim

---------------

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 8:42:11 AM
Thanks Jim but wiki, again? Frustrates the hell out of me my friend.

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 8:55:08 AM
George -how was I supposed to KNOW the answer to your question-if you are saying if you do not know the answer -do not bother looking it up.
Please confirm- should the aforementioned be the case.I have no real desire to frustrate the hell out of you-believe me!

Regards

Jim
---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 10:01:29 AM
George, & Jim,

Wish you guys wouldn't conflict over where info comes from, your both good guys! I didn't know any of this about Madeira? I sometimes stay in Madeira, Florida on the Gulf Coast in the Winter, now I know where their name is probably derived from!

[Read More]

[Read More]

Ya gotta love history!
& beautiful Geographical places!
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 11:45:14 AM

Quote:
George -how was I supposed to KNOW the answer to your question-if you are saying if you do not know the answer -do not bother looking it up.
Please confirm- should the aforementioned be the case.I have no real desire to frustrate the hell out of you-believe me!

Regards

Jim
--anemone

Then write the answer yourself Jim.

I could have looked that up myself but you nearly always take questions posed as a literal, "ask-answered" situation.

In fact, it appears that from my memory I had the essentials correct anyway.

There was an opportunity to discuss the historical relationship between GB and Portugal. BW alluded to that relationship in his post.

The use of verbatim copy and paste does not further discussion.

As for me, I shall try to construct leading questions in a more professional manner to avoid this situation again. Looking back, the question was a rather simple one.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 12:47:03 PM
Yes George I do understand-unfortunately I am unable to read the normal printed word to digest and give a precis answer.I use 150% magnification on my screen and can read what I see.Truth to tell it is probably well past time when I should have left the Forum as a "lame duck", but I keep hoping that I can obtain a satisfactory aid for my vision.What more can I say.I will not trouble you more.
---------------

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 1:48:55 PM
Now Jim. Don't lay the guilt trip on me.

We have all seen your cogent responses and very recently at that. I have said before and I will repeat it but the stories of your life experiences and background are priceless information and I thank you for sharing all of it.

Please keep it up and while I do not have a vision problem, I do appreciate that you have a physical challenge that I hope you will continue to meet head on, and on this forum.

Cheers,

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 2:08:47 PM
Sincerely George== It is not my intention for you feel guilty about me; it is me feeling guilty about myself.I know what I can and cannot do-I am perfectly capable of expressing my thoughts about ANYTHING which I have knowledge of;but without knowledge-- I am licked.Will persevere however.

Regards

Jim
---------------

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 3:30:56 PM
Jim, we are all in that boat. We know some things. We don't know a lot about others.

Don't let your challenges destroy your confidence. Easy for me to say, I know.

Comment where you wish but if you don't know something, then it is OK to be silent. There is no pressure for you to be the first to answer a question Jim, with the first thing that you find on the web.

Plenty of questions or themes go unanswered on this forum. I don't take offence at that.

This is probably best left to the PM section if you wish.

Cheers,

George

(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google