The current time is: 10/20/2017 9:26:03 PM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Allied POWs in the 1940 campaign
Posted on: 7/24/2017 8:53:51 AM
 Interesting chart, compiled by Alain Adam on the basis of German archives held by NARA. The wild card is the group without nationality specified, but likely, the bulk of those were French. I suspect the quantity given for British POWs is on the low side.

Cheers

BW

---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Allied POWs in the 1940 campaign
Posted on: 7/24/2017 9:24:23 AM
The BEF lost 11,014 men killed or who died of their wounds, 14,074 soldiers wounded
and 41,338 men missing or taken prisoner, a total of 66,426 men.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/24/2017 10:11:56 AM
Jim,

 If I perform simple subtraction and take the chart's (German) figures as accurate, that implies something like 21,000 missing. Phil can comment far more authoritatively than I on these matters, but my guess is that 21,000 missing versus 11,014 known KIA is an unlikely ratio. Thus, I'd guess that a fair portion of the 41,338 may be part of the chart's figures for "nationality not given".

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 7/24/2017 11:06:09 AM
Bill-cannot see why as many as 21,000 Brits would be included in the "nationality not given" Nonplussed in spades.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/24/2017 11:10:43 AM
 Well, almost 475,000 prisoners are in that category, so I'd guess there is proportional representation of Britons in that figure. As to why no information on their nationality -- confusion of battle, rapid and imprecise processing, etc.

Cheers

BW
---------------

richto90
Bremerton, WA, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/24/2017 8:46:31 PM

Quote:
 Well, almost 475,000 prisoners are in that category, so I'd guess there is proportional representation of Britons in that figure. As to why no information on their nationality -- confusion of battle, rapid and imprecise processing, etc.

Likely for the same reason that Allied PW accounts from France in 1944 can also skew understanding of what was going on. In Allied practice PW were usually precisely catalogued by the capturing unit for intelligence purposes, but at theater level that was not so important so gross figures were given that did not differentiate between Heer, Waffen-SS, Luftwaffe, HiWi, Freiwillger, Wehrmachtgerfolge, and the like. Which led to absurdities such as the story of the SAS officer and his merry band of Maquis capturing a "Panzer division" retreating from Bordeaux...it was actually 20,000-odd odds and sods of combat and service units of all sorts, as well as both male and female personnel of the German occupation administration, and everyone else under the sun trying to get out while being harried by every Allied pilot who also saw a "Panzer division" trying to escape.

Anyway, a lot of the German records for the 1940 French Campaign were destroyed in the bombing of the Heer Archiv in Potsdam in 1942, so there are a lot of gaps in some of the numbers. I suspect they had a grand total and parts of more detailed totals to work from.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/25/2017 2:42:24 AM

Quote:
Anyway, a lot of the German records for the 1940 French Campaign were destroyed in the bombing of the Heer Archiv in Potsdam in 1942, so there are a lot of gaps in some of the numbers. I suspect they had a grand total and parts of more detailed totals to work from.

 Thanks Rich.

Cheers

BW
---------------

(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google