The current time is: 12/16/2017 6:05:36 AM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Glogau 1945
Posted on: 9/19/2017 1:52:01 AM
 I "ran across" mention of this battle today; had never heard of it before. A siege from late February through mid-April 1945 by Soviet forces for the town of Glogau on the Oder River. Photo below is dramatic and a clear depiction of a Soviet soldier using a "liberated" German sub-machine gun.

Cheers

BW

---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Glogau 1945
Posted on: 9/19/2017 11:16:24 AM
BW,

As the Soviets approached the German boarders Hitler declared dozens of "fortress city's" ordering the garrisons to defend to the last man. A lot actually tried I think not so much because it was ordered but more because of what the Soviets were doing when they "liberated" territory. I read a book last year on the battles in East Prussia and there are a few such battles like this depicted.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/19/2017 11:58:28 AM
John,

 Check, I had run across a bunch before in my reading, but had never heard of Glogau being a "fortress". From what I can find on the battle, it was fairly small; the Germans had some 6,000 defenders and the Soviets two to three rifle divisions from the 3rd Guards Army.

 That noted, I wonder how many more of the 1945 battles are practically under the historiographical radar, so to speak?

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 9/19/2017 4:11:10 PM
BW,

I think the very large majority of them are understudied both ETO and PTO.

I think given the manpower shortage the Soviets were experiencing in 45 that 6,000 vs 3 rifle divisions isn't as lopsided as it sounds. Add in that you have a high percentage of recent draftees, a decent number from the recently liberated territory, in the ranks of many units especially on the flanks of the drive on Berlin. I've seen numbers as low as 3,000 and no higher than a little under 7,000 for the strengths of rifle divisions in 45. I sometimes wonder just how much the Soviets had left in the tank especially given their tactics.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google