You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/14/2017 8:12:10 AM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles    
AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

The costly battle for Peleliu Island held by Japan in WWII.
Posted on: 11/20/2017 10:11:45 PM
One of the costliest battles in the Pacific in WWII was the Bloody Battle for Peleliu an Island which was targeted as a necessary Island hopping step to defeat Japan!?

Here is a great documentary on it! I Highly recommend the video, & article, this is a very interesting battle!

[Read More]

For once the Marines accepted the help oh US Army units,
what a costly and difficult victory!?

What say you??
Regards,
MD

BTW MHO member Jeremy Gypton wrote a great article on it!

[Read More]

Well done Jeremy! (called operation stalemate II)
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: The costly battle for Peleliu Island held by Japan in WWII.
Posted on: 11/20/2017 10:48:30 PM
Dave,

I don't know if I'd say "accepted help" because the truth of the matter is that the majority of "invasions" weren't single island invasions but a group of island at a time and were done by a corps or army that was a joint Army-Marine unit. I believe a total of 3 landing were made in the Palus Island group but I'd have to check. Also the three infantry Regiments in the 1st Marine Division were decimated and had to be relieved. Hell if I'm not mistaken one of the Company's in the 1st Marine Regiment was down to 1 officer and 9 enlisted standing when relieved.

Also with all due respect to MacArthur it should have been canceled and bypassed. There were no working planes of any kind at the airfield and therefore was not a flank threat to the invasion of the Phillipines.

Edit Dave thinking about this the "for once accepted help" just doesn't fit at all. Think Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal when Chesty Puller feed in by two and three Army soldiers to help hold the line while other Army units extended the flank. There were as many or more cases of joint operations than there were of Marine only operations especially in the SW Pacific AO.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/21/2017 9:10:15 AM
John,

Your right, & no disrespect meant to the Marines or Army, sometimes I just choose the wrong words, I respect the hell out of them!

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/21/2017 12:17:14 PM
Dave,

I didn't think it was disrespect. I actually took it as more of a Marine attitude thing. You know like the Marines don't need help from anybody.

As for this battle I personally think it should be required reading for ever school kid to understand what the Marines did. The "Point", "Bloody Nose Ridge" and the entire "Umurbrogol" should be sear into the minds of every American so they know the cost of defending their freedom. The 1st Marine Regiment took 71% casualties in I believe 6 days of combat. If Tarawa was a bloodbath and it was what do you call this?
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/21/2017 12:31:00 PM

Quote:
Dave,

I didn't think it was disrespect. I actually took it as more of a Marine attitude thing. You know like the Marines don't need help from anybody.

As for this battle I personally think it should be required reading for ever school kid to understand what the Marines did. The "Point", "Bloody Nose Ridge" and the entire "Umurbrogol" should be sear into the minds of every American so they know the cost of defending their freedom. The 1st Marine Regiment took 71% casualties in I believe 6 days of combat. If Tarawa was a bloodbath and it was what do you call this?
--John R. Price

"With the Old Breed at Tarawa and Peleliu". Required reading when I helped teach the WWII class at Purdue.

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/21/2017 1:35:36 PM
OpanaPointer,

The "Old Breed" and the author of the book wasn't at Tarawa. The "Old Breed" was the 1st Marine Division and it was in four campaigns during WWII, Guadalcanal, New Guinea and new Britain, Pelelui and Okinawa. The authoer of the book Eugene Sledge was a member of the 5th Marine Regiment for the Pelelui and Okinawa Campaigns and the title is "With the Old Breed at Pelelui and Okinawa."

Plus the book is more a personal memory of a unit of the 5th Marines and while a great book falls very short as a history of the battle.

Edit I don't think WWII can be taught as a whole in just one semester at the college level. Just too much going on. Maybe if you divided it into ETO and PTO and made it a two semester deal, like take one in the fall and the other in spring.
---------------

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 11/21/2017 2:40:10 PM
I knew somebody would have the correct title. Cheers.

(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google