(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
AuthorMessage
gustavorojaspinilla5
Miami, FL, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Nazi Influence in Latin America
Posted on: 11/22/2017 5:36:25 PM
A lot of people said that Germany tried to convince different Latin American Countries to attack US and British colonies in this continent. Who can tell me more about it?

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Nazi Influence in Latin America
Posted on: 11/22/2017 10:03:13 PM
Gustavo (is that acceptable as a short form?), welcome to MHO.

I'm probably not the one to speak to your question. This is not my area of interest, to be honest.

And I'm not entirely certain whether you have a special meaning for "Latin American". I am assuming you mean all the Americas south of the US-Mexican border, and that you include at least some of the Caribbean nations as well.

Given those riders, my understanding is that:
• Germany had long-standing commercial interests in Latin America, as did Britain. These brought much of the South American continent into reluctant involvement in WW1. Those would continue through WW2, largely because of economic power but also because of political affinities that developed between European and Latin American nations.
• Most Latin American nations attempted to separate social, political, economic and trade issues to such an extent that they might accept trade with Britain while allowing hosts of various political folks or acceptance of funds without provenance.

Whether this led to German attempts to bring Latin American nations into the war on the Axis side is a different matter. I honestly can't say I know of any such attempts during WW2. World War 1 was perhaps a different matter, as the still questionable issue of the German attempted co-opting of Mexico, and the subsequent impact of the Zimmerman telegraph might indicate.

I think it fair to say that most US interest was a combination of economic and political control. US interests were more closely focused in Central America and Cuba, and were (despite US blustering) at kindest a benign colonial interest. That might mean that some Latin American nations were open to making US commercial interests less than safe or comfortable But I don't remember much in the way of direct appeals to (event covertly) to engage in warfare with the US.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

Brian Williams
Atlanta, GA, USA
Administrator

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com
Re: Nazi Influence in Latin America
Posted on: 11/22/2017 11:15:57 PM
That happened in WWI (the Zimmermann telegram). Not sure about WWII?

(1939-1945) WWII Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google