The current time is: 6/23/2018 12:32:02 AM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

73 years ago
Posted on: 12/16/2017 1:15:11 PM
... the Germans attacked into the Ardennes, some 20 divisions strong. Facing them were three U.S. infantry divisions and parts of an armored division. Six weeks later it was all over and the front lines restored, but at staggering cost.

 I recall being told, years ago, by a Belgian woman who had been alive at the time, the dominant thought was "My God, they're coming again . . ."

December 16, 1944: The Ardennes Offensive opens, momentarily stunning an Allied High Command who had convinced themselves the Germans could no longer mount a major offensive.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Larry Purtell
USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: 73 years ago
Posted on: 12/16/2017 2:47:07 PM
At the time of the Ardennes offensive my dad was a 23 year old PFC in company-C, 36th armored infantry regiment in the 3rd armored division. Never talked much about the bulge, only that it was bitter cold and the confusion and rumors were constant.

Larry.

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/16/2017 5:07:28 PM
How astonishingly complacent were these Allied commanders who discounted the threat of a major German offensive !

To what might we attribute this ?

Wishful thinking ; delusion ; or something more akin to denial ?

This syndrome recurs so much in military history.

I wonder if hierarchy - and there are few if any institutions more predicated on hierarchy than the military - fosters a pernicious culture of telling superiors what they want to hear, rather than what they need to hear.

Regards , Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 12/16/2017 5:55:42 PM
Larry,

Did he say anything about Maj General Maurice Rose? Good friends father-in-law was captured when Rose was KIA.
---------------
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country.
"to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"

Forum Ads from Google