MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/22/2017 9:49:10 AM
 (1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)    
AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

The skirmish in the East Woods, September 16, 1862 at Antietam!
Posted on: 3/3/2017 10:04:49 AM
MHO member Scott Mingus, has a great article on this important skirmish of 9-16-1862, setting the stage for the day before the all out Battle of Antietam!

[Read More]

Check it out, thanks Scott!
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: The skirmish in the East Woods, September 16, 1862 at Antietam!
Posted on: 3/4/2017 4:45:39 AM
This is a valuable contribution , Dave : thanks for drawing our attention to Scott Mingus's research.

It certainly makes me aware of how these great days of battle were so often preceeded by, or followed by, nasty skirmishes which added their own toll to the bloodshed.

We often read, for example, that 17 September, with its twenty three thousand casualties, was the bloodiest single day of the war.

Some circumspection is required when we ask ourselves how many of those twenty three thousand casualties might be attributed to the fight the day before ; or, indeed, the skirmishing that spluttered on the following day.

Much the same might be said of Chickamauga, Shiloh and Gettysburg , and other battles, too.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)    
 Forum Ads from Google