MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 9/1/2014 9:54:07 PM
 (1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Western Theater)    
AuthorMessage
Jonathan L.
Dunlap, TN, USA
New User
E-2 Private

http://sequatchiefootball.webs.com http://sequatchieindianssports.blogspot.com
VICTORY ACHIEVED AT FRANKLIN!! UPDATE!
Posted on: 5/31/2012 9:33:54 PM

Quote:
Funds finalized for future $3M Civil War interpretive park
Nonprofit Franklin's Charge to pay $1.85M for strip center

Published May 30, 2012 by NashvillePost.com

Officials with nonprofit Franklin’s Charge announced today funds have been raised to purchase a strip center that will be razed to make way for the $3 million Carter Cotton Gin Interpretative Park.

The strip center, anchored by a Domino’s Pizza and facing Columbia Avenue, was “ground zero” for the battle of Franklin, according to Franklin’s Charge. The nonprofit expects to spend $1.85 million for the property.

The Carter Cotton Gin Interpretative Park will comprise four parcels. In addition to the strip center, the Heritage Foundation previously purchased a house (Carter’s original cotton gin) on Cleburne Street in the late 1990s. Also, the Franklin-based Franklin’s Charge in 2008 paid $950,000 for a second parcel, the debt on the note for which has been retired. The Civil War Trust purchased a third parcel for $200,000. That land will be conveyed to Franklin’s Charge.

Full Article Link:[Read More]

---------------
Give me a thousand Tennesseans, and I'll whip any other thousand men on the globe!-- Andrew Jackson

Jonathan L.
Dunlap, TN, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Re: Franklin Domino's will fall!!
Posted on: 12/21/2012 11:08:01 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!! VICTORY AT FRANKLIN!!!

Eric Jacobson - Chief Operating Officer and Historian for the Battle of Franklin Trust announced earlier today via Facebook the following..

Quote:
"It is OFFICIAL. The paperwork is complete, the signatures are dry, and the deal is done. The much discussed Dominos tract in Franklin is now 100% preserved....forever.

This early 1880s photo shows much of the tract - just to the left of the cotton gin. Soon the buildings that stand on the site today will be demolished and we can move toward making this hallowed section of the battlefield look like it did so many years ago. Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. What a way to end 2012!!!"

The Cotton Gin pictured above is believed to have set roughly on the same location as the blue house pictured here in a photo I took during the fall of 2010. It along with yellow house to its right have already been purchased for preservation!

---------------
Give me a thousand Tennesseans, and I'll whip any other thousand men on the globe!-- Andrew Jackson

revans
Salem, OH, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 1/27/2013 2:08:57 PM
Good news!
---------------
Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets.

Jonathan L.
Dunlap, TN, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 11/14/2013 4:36:20 PM
MORE GOOD NEWS!!!

[Read More]

Quote:
Hellers buy another Franklin battlefield parcel from development

FRANKLIN — The former car wash at the corner of Columbia Ave. and Fairground Street in Franklin has been purchased by a limited partnership with the intent of preserving it from development, according to a press release today from the Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County.

The .4 acre parcel has been purchased by Wagner Line Limited Partnership, whose general partner is J. Roderick Heller. Among the limited partners is an entity controlled by Mr. Heller’s brother, Hanes Heller.

The Hellers are descendants of the McGavock family, who owned Carnton Plantation at the time of the Civil War. J. Roderick Heller was recently in the news for his plans to redevelop a block of downtown Franklin between First and Second avenues north into a mixed-use project including a boutique hotel.

“This parcel of land is one of the four or five most important pieces of land with respect to the Battle of Franklin,” Heller said in the press release. “Our purpose in purchasing it was to protect it from being developed into a McDonald’s or town houses.”

The car wash is at the site of a forward Union line as the Confederate Army of Tennessee advanced from Winstead Hill. The federal troops, commanded by Brig. Gen. George D. Wagner, were held in position by Wagner as the Confederates advanced, though Wagner had been told to have his men fall back. When the position was overrun by Confederates, Union troops on the front line positions near the Carter House had to hold their fire lest they shoot their own men who in retreat were mixed with their attackers.

Daniel Woods wanted to develop the car wash property at 1416 Columbia Ave. and had sought approval earlier this year to have it rezoned from commercial district to residential variety district. Woods wanted to build a seven-unit, two story townhome/office development but faced resistance from both the preservation community and from the city.

He had no comment Thursday on the sale.

In 2005, Heller and his wife, Kay, stepped in to purchase the 110 acres of what is now the Eastern Flank Battle Park in 2005 when it was threatened with development. The Hellers held the property until a public-private partnership could raise the funds to purchase it, and placed a conservation easement on the property when it was deeded to the City of Franklin to guarantee it will never be further developed.

In 2007 the Hellers purchased Windermere and the surrounding 40 acres when it was being considered for development. Windermere is a c. 1883 McGavock home adjacent to the Carnton property, and now serves as the Hellers’ home when they are in Franklin. It has also been placed under a conservation easement.

“The Hellers are the largest private individual contributors to battlefield preservation efforts in Franklin, and their commitment to saving the places that matter is exemplary,” said Mary Pearce, executive director of the Heritage Foundation, in the press release. “They understand the enormous difficulty in reclaiming property once it has been developed and take seriously the responsibility of saving our historical resources for future generations. I am personally grateful to Mr. Heller for playing the lead role in acquiring the Battle of Mill Springs property in my home town of Somerset, Ky., more than a decade ago.”

Heller said he has no immediate plans for the property other than receiving the appropriate approvals to demolish the car wash.

---------------

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Western Theater)    
 Forum Ads from Google