General History    
AuthorMessage
scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Reformation
Posted on: 11/1/2016 4:22:03 PM
500 years ago today,Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to door of the church in Wittenberg. Thus began the Reformation. Celebrations in Berlin and Wittenberg.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Reformation
Posted on: 11/2/2016 2:37:18 AM
Wasn't it in 1517 he nailed them up?
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Reformation
Posted on: 11/2/2016 7:45:44 AM
In England, the Reformation began with Henry VIII’s quest for a male heir. When Pope Clement VII refused to annul Henry’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon so he could remarry, the English king declared in 1534 that he alone should be the final authority in matters relating to the English church.

Henry dissolved England’s monasteries to confiscate their wealth and worked to place the Bible in the hands of the people. Beginning in 1536, every parish was required to have a copy.

After Henry’s death, England tilted toward Calvinist-infused Protestantism during Edward VI’s six-year reign and then endured five years of reactionary Catholicism under Mary I.

In 1559 Elizabeth I took the throne and, during her 44-year reign, cast the Church of England as a “middle way” between Calvinism and Catholicism, with vernacular worship and a revised Book of Common Prayer.

[Read More]

Regards

Jim

---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Reformation
Posted on: 11/2/2016 9:10:07 AM

Quote:
Wasn't it in 1517 he nailed them up?
--kaii

No, that was in Wörms. Wittenberg, his home town,started first.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Reformation
Posted on: 11/2/2016 3:57:44 PM
Great, thanks for clearing that up!

Kai
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

General History    
 Forum Ads from Google