General History    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

The Long Shadow of 1917
Posted on: 12/10/2016 12:07:29 PM

Quote:
The Russian people’s 21st-century notion of what they call ‘the Great Patriotic War’ bears little relationship to our own. It ignores Stalin’s 1939-41 pact with Hitler, and the fact that the Luftwaffe planes that bombed London in the Blitz were powered by Russian fuel. President Putin has made unlawful all published mention of the unspeakable cruelties the Soviet regime inflicted on its own citizens — shooting an estimated 300,000 soldiers for alleged desertion or cowardice — in order to prevail. Antony Beevor’s books, and for that matter my own, are nowadays banned because they describe the Red Army’s 1945 campaign of rape and pillage in Germany.

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: The Long Shadow of 1917
Posted on: 12/10/2016 5:17:11 PM
There are still prominent people - exemplified by Seamus Milne and James Schneider - who would recoil from Max Hastings' assessment.

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/11/2016 2:16:21 AM
Personly, I find Hastings and Beevor two rather obnoxious personalities and appalling historians as well.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/11/2016 2:58:28 AM

Quote:
Personly, I find Hastings and Beevor two rather obnoxious personalities and appalling historians as well.

Trevor
--scoucer

 Oddly (for me) is how historiography and its products have a way of becoming popularity contests. In a single book, I both despised and admired Hastings' way of handling various topics. He would do much better to stay away from topics about which he is ill-informed.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/11/2016 4:24:40 AM
Seamus Milne, leading light of British hard left Momentum, will - IIUC - insist that Stalin and his rule are in need of rehabilitation in the way they are perceived .

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/11/2016 7:40:26 AM

Quote:
Seamus Milne, leading light of British hard left Momentum, will - IIUC - insist that Stalin and his rule are in need of rehabilitation in the way they are perceived .

Regards, Phil
--Phil andrade

One can but try

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

General History    
 Forum Ads from Google