General History    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Lost city of Trellech rediscovered
Posted on: 1/5/2017 1:21:47 PM

Quote:
Stuart Wilson, an archaeology graduate who was working in a toll bridge booth, took a gamble and bought the field for £32,000 when he could have been investing in his first house.

Over the past 15 years he and a hardy band of volunteers have painstakingly unearthed what they believe are the remains of a sprawling medieval city.
[Read More]

 Amazing a city could disappear in the 1500s.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Lost city of Trellech rediscovered
Posted on: 1/5/2017 1:43:22 PM
Interesting Bill

Trellech (occasionally spelt Trelech, Treleck or Trelleck; modern Welsh: Tryleg) is a village and parish in Monmouthshire, south-east Wales, located on the B4293 road about 5 miles (8 km) south of Monmouth and 4 miles (6.4 km) north-north-west of Tintern. The name of the village derives from Welsh and means "the town (tre) of slates (llech)"; there are three standing stones close to the village, known as Harold's Stones. The church of St Nicholas is a Grade I listed building. The village is located on a plateau between the valleys of the Usk to the west and Wye to the east.

Although a relatively small village in modern times, it was one of the largest towns in Wales in the 13th century, and is now the location of archaeological investigations to determine its extent and role at that time. The village is designated as a Conservation Area, and gives its name to the community of Trellech United, in which it is located. There are historically 26 known spellings of the village name; on each of the three roads entering the village, signs give a different spelling - Trellech, Trelleck and Trelech.

[Read More]

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Lost city of Trellech rediscovered
Posted on: 1/5/2017 4:21:09 PM
Bill, I read a couple of articles about Trellech over the past day or two, and watched a less-than-informative video. Through all that, I didn't note something you point out immediately. Wilson has some archaeological training. I had noted he worked as a toll taker, and was worried lest he be a weekend metal seeker. Seems not to be the case.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

General History    
 Forum Ads from Google