top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Dead at 106: Brunhilde Pomsel
Posted on: 1/30/2017 2:32:51 PM
... once a secretary to Reichspropagandaminister Josef Goebbels ... [Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Dead at 106: Brunhilde Pomsel
Posted on: 1/30/2017 6:23:33 PM
I read of her death in a different source from the one you link to, and reading your link raises a number of questions:
Quote:
In "A German Life", which was released last year, she said she felt no guilt - "unless you end up blaming the entire German population".
Born in January 1911, Ms Pomsel worked as a writer for a Jewish insurance broker for a number of years during her late teenage years, before taking a similar job with a right-wing writer.
Although she claimed that she had always been apolitical, she joined the Nazi party when they took power in 1933, in order to take a government job with German national radio.
Her skill as a typist, she said, brought her to the role of Joseph Goebbels' secretary in 1942, during the war, when he was minister of "public enlightenment and propaganda".

I'm looking at the word "writer", which is used twice, and placing beside it "her skill as a typist".

An entire ideology can be fitted between those two terms, IMHO. Despite her protestations to the contrary, I find it hard to believe she advanced to what would have been a vetted position on the strength of her typing skills and her party membership. I can't remember any indication that Herr Goebbels was unfaithful to his wife Magda, so I'm not suggesting hanky-panky as an explanation. But the move from Jewish insurance broker to right-wing writer deserves at least a bit of thought. Ms Pomsel worked as a writer during her late teens, probably from about 1928 on. By the time she is 22, she has joined the Nazi Party.

Lots of folks saw joining the NSDAP as a sensible career move, of course. At the same time, does anyone know who the "right-wing writer" she was a writer for was? Did he instill in her some values which made joining the NSDAP not just a good career move but also commitment to a cause? Again, we could be talking about somebody who is just a member of the typing pool. But that isn't how the obit reads. By 1942, she held the "role of Joseph Goebbels' secretary". That is not just a position in the typing pool, not with writing experience with both Jewish and right-wing bosses.

Not that it's an issue now. Whatever her political or ethical convictions may have been at the time, 1933 and 1945 are a long time ago. But could it have been an issue after her return to Germany from the USSR in 1950? I don't know much about Soviet protocol for dealing with German prisoners. But based on the typical scenarios we are given, I would have expected Ms Pomsel to be raped, tortured and slaughtered by advancing Soviet troops. I wouldn't have expected her to be sent to a Soviet camp, and to have survived five years. She was a working member of the staff in the Bunker, for Heaven's sake. Whether this would keep her alive or assure her death, I don't know. But she popped back into the West in 1950 and was hired by West German media resources. Does that strike anyone as just a bit improbable?

The lady has gone. Her truths will never be known now, if they are different from her official line. Yet one more avenue to understanding for WW2 historians has been bulldozed by time.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/30/2017 6:35:39 PM
But she popped back into the West in 1950 and was hired by West German media resources. Does that strike anyone as just a bit improbable?

 A keen observation.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/30/2017 10:48:10 PM
Bill and Brian,

She was not in the Soviet Union. She was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and after serving the 5 years in the NKVD Speziallager in Höhenschönhausen in Berlin she moved to the west in 1950. In 1950 there was no Wall or inner German border.Movement between the two Germany''s was no big problem until 1961.

The Jewish lawyer she worked for was Dr. Hugo Goldberg who luckily emigrated to the US in 1933. She then worked for the novelist ,journalist and editor Wulf Bley who was Stürmfuhrer in the SA. As he further worked as radio comentator and editor for the Reichsrunfunkskammer she was required to join the party in order to work further. In 1943, Bley got her the job in the propaganda ministry.

Bley was the radio commentator by the Olympic Games in Berlin and the famous SA Fackelzug in 1933.

Trevor

Edit: That she was Goebbel's secretary would have kept her alive as the NKVD would want to get as much info as possible out of her. That she only got 5 years would indicate to me that she was as naive as she says.

"Writer" comes over to me as a bad translation of stenographer.
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 1/31/2017 12:34:32 AM
Stalin was, as a bit of a suspicious chap - typically intensely interested in the 'final days' of his fellow dictator.

He 'organised' a 'collection' of those available to him, who were present in the 'Fuehrer Bunker' - to be 'interviewed'.

& as was his habit, he liked to have his information 'triangulated' ( at least) by collation from several different sources,
before he could be deem it acceptable/reliable...

Thus he would have the GRU compare findings with those gained by the NKVD & then evaluated against his foreign sources..

Stalin certainly had his doubts about Hitler dying in Berlin, naturally, since as a typically sneaky ex-seminarian/bank robber,
- he himself had no intention of being caught likewise in Moscow `41, having kept a special train on standby to 'bug-out' if/when required.

Josef Goebbels was - 'Hollywood Jew-boss' type casting couch sexual propensities aside - actually a popular figure in wartime Nazi Germany,
since he regularly showed up ( unlike most Nazi 'big-wigs') to offer meaningful support to newly fire-bombed, but surviving civilians...

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 2/2/2017 12:05:06 AM
Trevor, thanks for that wealth of background on Ms Pomsel. It helps sort out the alphas from the betas from the iotas.

I'm still a bit hesitant about "writer", "secretary" and "stenographer", not to mention the hint that she was hired because of her skills as a "typist". Each implies that she might play very different roles or have very different responsibilities during her association with Goebbels.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

General History    
 Forum Ads from Google