General History    
AuthorMessage
Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

KaiserReich political structure
Posted on: 5/28/2017 8:48:50 AM
I came across this on the weekend and it appears sophisticated enough to actually explain what the hell was going on in Imperial Germany. For example I knew that the Kaiser appointed the Chancellor, what I didn't know was that the Chancellor was for almost the entire Imperial period the Prime Minister of Prussia and by extension the Chairman of the Bundesraat. So while the Kaiser did appoint the Chancellor it appears that he didn't have the latitude that statement suggests, being limited to the PM of Prussia most of the time.

---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: KaiserReich political structure
Posted on: 5/28/2017 2:07:47 PM
Riain,

The German Empire was a confederation of kingdoms, duchies and principalities and was not the centralised monarchy of the British Empire.
It´s like many not understanding the EU commission. The EU is a confederation. The commissioners are appointed by each nations gouvernment. The Kaiser, or Prussian gouvernment, could not interfere in the internal affairs of say Bavaria or Saxony like the British gouvernment could in say Scotland or Wales. The relationship was more like the relationship to the Dominions.

I can really recommend "Iron Kingdom" by Christopher Clark to get the full picture.

I am astonished at what a general like Falkenhayn, who was at the same time Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Prussian War Minister and Commander of the Deputy Corps District Commanders had to deal with not to mention the various kingdoms courts, war ministries and state assemblies and not to mention the interference of the Kaiser and Kaiserin.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 5/29/2017 2:20:48 AM
It sort of reminds me of the US, with a non parliamentary executive and separate legislature. The bundesraat is throwing me; did it have long-term appointments of important state political figues and a regular sitting schedule?
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 5/29/2017 4:57:11 AM
Dp
---------------

General History    
 Forum Ads from Google