Visiting ACW Battlefields    
AuthorMessage
vetamerican
washington, PA, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

Gettysburg and others ...
Posted on: 1/31/2018 9:04:37 AM
I've visited Gettysburg about six times, and every time I do, I am moved. I've also visited American Civil War battlefields in West Virginia and Virginia. Tour groups are great ways the first time, but I suggest you just go there without any suggested schedule or plans, and let the battlefields speak to you because they do.

I live near where three states border each other, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio. So I am fortunate that many Civil War sites are within easy driving distance.
---------------
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Gettysburg and others ...
Posted on: 1/31/2018 9:27:00 AM
Hi VA,

I agree, the 1st time I was there I grabbed a big cup of coffee, my son & we just discovered things together!

How cool!
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

dick evick
Waco , TX, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 1/31/2018 10:15:45 AM
Hello VA

May I suggest the Corricks Ford Park in Parsons, WV. The park I believe has a small visitors center and a paved trail covers the course of the river. The trail isn't associated with the park but the ford is highly visible. The Corrick house which was used after the battle is still standing, General Garnett's body was taken there.

I have visted the ford many times, my Grandparents lived in the house on the edge of the park right by the baseball park. The park didn't exist then a saw mill was in that area. This was in the 1960's.

Dick.

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 1/31/2018 2:57:01 PM
Try hiring a licensed battlefield guide for a different perspective.
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Posted on: 2/1/2018 7:15:08 AM

Quote:
I suggest you just go there without any suggested schedule or plans, and let the battlefields speak to you because they do.

Indeed they do. I remember the first time I had that wow moment. I was walking Pickett's Charge one early (chilly) morning in April--completely alone, other than the spirits of course.

My favorite thing to do is walk the field with a good map. Like this one: [Read More]

My civil war Bucket List thread (and the other fields I've visited:)

[Read More]

---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/2/2018 10:45:40 AM
Hi lp,

Sounds like a great idea!

a try, next time for me,
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Visiting ACW Battlefields    
 Forum Ads from Google