AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
History of the RAAF
Posted on: 3/6/2017 7:08:16 AM
Established in 1921, the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) is the second-oldest independent Air Force in the world.

Early History and World War I

Military aviation came of age during World War I when airships and early aircraft were principally used for reconnaissance. Australia’s eight Australian Flying Corps (AFC) squadrons were part of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) and were attached to larger British Royal Flying Corps / Royal Air Force formations.

During World War I, 800 officers and 2,840 men served in the AFC and 175 lost their lives. Many AFC veterans helped to lay the groundwork for the future Royal Australian Air Force and after the war others would enter industry to make significant contributions to civil aviation.

In January 1920, the AFC was replaced by the Australian Air Corps, which in turn became the Australian Air Force. On 31 March 1921 with the King’s consent to become the Royal Australian Air Force on 13 August 1921.

How did it grow,were there problems with aircraft supply and manufacture; and if there were- how were they overcome-what was the RAAF's contribution- especially in WW2????

[Read More]

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: History of the RAAF
Posted on: 3/6/2017 4:54:59 PM
The Thunder from Down Under!!!
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/7/2017 3:43:00 AM
Thank you Dave

In World War II, Australian air and ground crews fought in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East; over the North Atlantic, the Indian and Pacific Oceans and the Mediterranean; India, Burma, Malaya, Singapore, Thailand, China, the Netherland East Indies, New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, the Philippines and Borneo. They also fought over Australia, its territories, and its approaches.

In late 1944, the RAAF peaked at over 182,000 personnel and 6,200 aircraft in 61 squadrons. In 1945, Australia had the fourth-largest air force in the world (after the USA, USSR and UK).

Over 215,000 men and women served between 1939-45, and 9,870 RAAF personnel lost their lives. Over 55 per cent of these deaths occurred in the air war against Germany.

Regard

Jim
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/7/2017 3:49:06 AM
 Order of battle, December 1941. From site [Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/7/2017 7:58:10 PM
Point Cook base, 10km down the road has a hangar with a heritage list dent in the wall: Australia's first aviation accident.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 3/7/2017 8:45:05 PM

Quote:

In late 1944, the RAAF peaked at over 182,000 personnel and 6,200 aircraft in 61 squadrons. In 1945, Australia had the fourth-largest air force in the world (after the USA, USSR and UK).

Regard

Jim
--anemone

Jim, I reckon those figures need checking.. 100 planes per squadron?

4th largest? Is this Allies only?

& the US Air Force didn't exist in 1945, US Forces flying combat were Army/Navy/USMC..

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/7/2017 10:56:14 PM
Jim was using an Australian site and I need to quibble with some of the claims.

Both Australia and Canada established air forces after the Great War. But they weren't designated as "Royal" initially.

Canada established the Canadian Air Force in 1920. Australia established the Australian Air Force in 1921.

It is true that the Australians were given the "Royal" appellation before the Canadians who requested that they be called the RCAF in 1924. Australia had asked in 1921.

I don't understand the claim that the RAAF was the 2nd oldest "independent" air force in the world if the Canadian Air Force was established one year earlier.

As for the claim that the RAAF was the 4th largest AF in the world in 1945, we must realize that the RCAF which was larger had already begun to demobilize and was scaling down before the Australians did. I presume then that this claim to the 4th largest may have been accurate in the summer of 1945.

The BCATP virtually guaranteed that the Canadians would have a large number of ground and air crew fighting in the European war. The Australian training programme was an important contribution but much smaller than the BCATP in Canada.

Peak strength of the RCAF during WW2 was 215,000. Australia reached 182,000 in Feb. of 1945.

Unaccounted for both is the number of people assigned to RAF and FAA squadrons.

Pardon my quibbling.

Cheers,

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/8/2017 2:54:04 AM
James-I was wondering whether the 100 Aircraft per Sqdn- was am "averaged out figure" for the entire war ie. from 1941 to 1944.I agree that 100 a/c at any one time in 1944 is ludicrous-the Data came from an Australian site though.

Regards

Jim
---------------

General Military History    
 Forum Ads from Google