General Military History    
AuthorMessage
comrade
Atlantis,
New User
E-2 Private

Need help finding Women Military Leaders throughout world history
Posted on: 3/14/2017 6:15:14 PM
I'm working on a project in my spare time that involves comparing major military figures throughout history, and I have been trying to include as many women as possible because I feel they often get overlooked despite being incredibly adept at warfare. I'm most interested in women who were at least partially successful in their military campaigns (such as Boudicca or Xenobia), and particularly if there were any examples of female commanders from sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia (including the Indian subcontinent), or the Americas--where I have fewest examples. Also, women commanders from 1400 AD to 1900 AD from anywhere in the world would be useful.

The current commanders I have a strong awareness of are:
Boudicca of Britannia
Xenobia of the Palmyrian Empire
Joan of Arc
And that's it!

So if you know of any women who lead armies, pretty much anywhere at any time, point me in their direction, and I'll see where they fit in my project.

I really appreciate any help!

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Need help finding Women Military Leaders throughout world history
Posted on: 3/14/2017 9:28:53 PM
As then 'Commander in Chief' Queen Elizabeth I certainly intruded into military matters, with her micro-management of logistics spending, even
to the extent of risking the outcome of the Spanish Armada situation, at a critical period.

Empress Catherine of Russia also wielded absolute power, including as 'C-in-C' - into military matters,
& to such an extent - that females were subsequently specifically excluded from assuming the throne of Russia, in their own right..

( & it is out of your select time period, but P.M. Maggie Thatcher directed that the British Forces re-take the Falkland Is, & she also liked military 'photo-opportunities')..

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/14/2017 9:43:02 PM
Just a few off the top of my head:

Queen Artemisia of Caria
Fu Hao
Trung Trac and Trung Nhi
Laskarina Bouboulina
Juana Azurduy
Yaa Asantewaa
Lakshmibai

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 3/15/2017 5:29:34 AM

Take a look at this listing throughout the centuries

[Read More]

Regards

Jim
---------------