General Military History    
AuthorMessage
cim902
Fort Wayne , IN, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Need help identifying an officer
Posted on: 4/28/2017 3:42:34 PM
Hi, I'm a researcher, and my client has given me a question that's become the proverbial needle in the haystack. She remembers reading somewhere about a general who required his troops to rest during a march, even when they weren't tired. Supposedly people laughed at him for this, but in the end, his men made better time and won a battle or campaign because of it. She THINKS this person might have been British, but isn't sure.... So--basically, it could be any officer from nearly any war, in any century. The march was apparently lengthy. Do any of you know who this might have been?

Thanks so much!

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: Need help identifying an officer
Posted on: 4/28/2017 3:50:59 PM
Possibly Stonewall Jackson.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 4:42:47 PM
This blurb from Amazon.ca shows an excerpt from a book that confirms Jim Cameron's speculation.

Part way down in a general comment about Confederate marching methods, it says that General Jackson used a 50 minute on and 10 off regimen that soon was adopted by the rest of the army.

[Read More]

But that doesn't mean that there weren't other commanders over the centuries who didn't employ similar tactics.

Could be difficult to determine who cim92 is looking for.

cim902
Fort Wayne , IN, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 4/28/2017 5:17:39 PM
Yes--she thought this was a British soldier, but honestly, since the first answer, I've been looking at Jackson, and he's the most promising candidate I've seen, Thank you both very much.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 7:20:05 PM
I may remember wrong, but I believe General Sir Garnet Wolseley implemented changes in the standard marching regime to include compulsory short breaks and grazing for pack animals even during forced marches, during the campaign to relieve the Siege of Khartoum in the 1880's.

I believe he was ridiculed for this due to the fact that the relief force ultimately arrived to late to save Khartoum from falling and saving the infamous General Gordon.

Later research however has shown that his marching schedules were probably the most efficient they could have used for the terrain, climate and supply situation they were facing at the time.

Worth checking out at least.

K
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

richto90
Bremerton, WA, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 5/3/2017 1:08:44 AM
Standing orders as Given Out and Enforced by the Late Major Genl. Rob.t Craufurd for the Use of the Light Division. During the Years 1809. 10 and 11. Then Serving Under His Command in the Army of the Duke of Wellington. Published by Brevet Major Campbel, 23.rd Reg. Late D.A.Q.M.G. to the Light Division, and Captain Shaw, 43.rd Reg. Late A.D.C. to Gen. Craufurd. Corfu, Government Printing Office, 1814. Pages 12 and 13.

:)

General Military History    
 Forum Ads from Google