General Military History    
AuthorMessage
Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

The National Army Museum, London, re-opened
Posted on: 5/8/2017 2:16:51 PM
Some reflections on a day out in London....

I've just returned from a visit to the National Army Museum ( NAM ) , which has been closed for a couple of years and has re-opened after a major refurbishment .

Here we have an example of how such public institutions have changed.

Before we had a disciplined exposition of history ; now we have more of a theme park array, with randomly pitched, impressionistic vignettes of a "touchy, feely " nature.

The curmudgeon in me recoiled ; the grandfather rejoiced.

This is great for family fun ; you can have a simulated tank experience, with driver and gunner roles conflated...great for the kids !

Which method serves education better ?

Regards , Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: The National Army Museum, London, re-opened
Posted on: 5/9/2017 5:43:12 AM
Sign of the times Phil-making anything attractive for children will put more money in the till than stuffy old history.It is a d--- shame that it has come to that-the Government cuts it's grant-so to survive the NAM is converted into a theme park.More of our heritage is eroded.

Regards

Jim

---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/9/2017 7:29:56 AM
Well I haven't seen the NAM displays but the teacher in me says that the young people will learn and retain far better with a hands on experience.

History in schools is being taught in a far different way than when many of us were there. It is no longer supposed to be dry and boring.

Lecture and note taking just about killed history as a subject in my country. Once the compulsory two courses in Canadian history in high school were completed, the kids fled the coop.

So teachers make use of multiple resources like libraries, museums including on line.

The teachers want the kids to engage with the subject matter rather than to simply memorize facts. Those facts may be looked up at anytime and the students will do that when needed as a theme develops.

More like this:

[Read More]

I recall seeing a film on the Netherlands and how the teachers keep the topic of liberation alive.

Elementary students in a village constructed a model of their town out of wood. All the streets were named.

I took note because this town was liberated by the Canadian army.

These children looked to be about grade six. Their assignment was to plot the timeline of liberation. Amazing really. They were able to plot the advance of the liberators through the city.

They knew where men were shot and died and why a particular street may have been named after a single soldier.

And then they would research that soldier's life.

Just one example but the retention and impact of these events are enhanced by this type of learning.

Another very simple example. All of the high school kids from Canada who attended the Vimy Ridge memorial this year were, among other assignments, required to learn everything that they could about one Canadian soldier whose name was engraved on the Memorial and who had no known grave.

It was quite touching to see these 16-18 year olds holding a picture of their soldier and placing their hand on his name. Many had tears in their eyes.

I think that their level of understanding was enhanced by both being there but also their research on one man. They will remember.

So while I haven't seen the NAM displays, I can't help but feel that while the kids are having some fun, they are also learning, retaining and comprehending events much better.

Cheers,

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 5/9/2017 8:01:25 AM
Geoege-having read your post carefully-I realise the "old man" in me unwilling to countenance change- is past it's sell by date.

“The old order changeth yielding place to new.

And God fulfills himself in many ways Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Comfort thyself: what comfort is in me I have lived my life and that which I have done May he within himself make pure but thou If thou shouldst never see my face again Pray for my soul.

More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.”

― Alfred Tennyson

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/9/2017 8:28:17 AM
The NAM is just off Sloane Square in the London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

It's the richest area of London, and, I suppose, one of the wealthiest in the world.

The lay out of the museum has been made especially attractive for the glamorous nannies who are employed to look after the children of the rich people....there is a very large crèche area provided, and the little ones frolic there under the care of some rather yummy looking au pairs.

This boosts the numbers for the museum.

But, I have to say, the exhibits were displayed to maximum effect....a lot of socio economic stuff, and a great deal of art work, too...but plenty of military hardware ; there were muskets and rifles , loads of arms and accoutrements from 1660s to the present day.

The tank experience really works.

My little grandson would love this : already he asked me what his Great grandfather ( my dad ) did in the war.

Did he fight the Nazis, or the Hun ? he asks me.

I was amused, but a little bit taken back, I must admit !

His older sister would enjoy the hands on experience, too....I must take them.

Regards , Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/9/2017 11:02:55 AM
Phil, I recall taking my kids for the first time to the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto.

We travelled from exhibit to exhibit and the kids, through experiential learning, were learning science through touch and feel. It didn't feel like learning.

And the oldest kid in the family who was nearly 40 at the time, had more fun than anybody.

I couldn't believe that science could be this much fun.

George

General Military History    
 Forum Ads from Google