General Military History    
AuthorMessage
George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Poland seeks further reparations from Germany
Posted on: 9/10/2017 6:34:46 AM
I heard a piece on the CBC today that said that Poland has asked Germany to revisit the reparations agreement stemming from WW2.

Apparently the Polish government feels that they have not received enough in the previous agreement or agreements.

Angela Merkel has responded that the matter of reparations for the damage done in Poland has been a closed matter and she sees no need to re-open discussions. She acknowledges and accepts Germany's responsibility for the harm done to Poland.

She said that Poland had relinquished demands for reparations in 1953, 1970 and 2004. I note that Poland did not become independent of the USSR until 1989. They were under the thumb in 1953 and in 1970, were they not?

Why were discussions surrounding reparations re-opened in the past?

Merkel also said that Germany values the current relationship that it has with Poland.

This is confusing. Has Germany failed to meet its obligations in this matter?

On what grounds do the Poles make this request to re-open discussions?

[Read More]

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Poland seeks further reparations from Germany
Posted on: 9/10/2017 7:07:41 AM

 My quick take is that this is a political gambit. Poland has various disagreements with the EU and sees Germany as the dominant nation in the EU; thus, bringing this question up is a way of signaling the German government that the disputes can become nastier if the EU tries to apply too much pressure.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/10/2017 8:48:52 AM
I am for any reparations the Poles can get, they were one of the major victims to the Germans in WWII!

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/10/2017 10:19:33 AM

Quote:

 My quick take is that this is a political gambit. Poland has various disagreements with the EU and sees Germany as the dominant nation in the EU; thus, bringing this question up is a way of signaling the German government that the disputes can become nastier if the EU tries to apply too much pressure.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

The Greeks tried the same gambit.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 9/10/2017 1:01:47 PM

Quote:

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

Agreed. As Trevor says, Greece tried the same thing, and Poland and Hungary just lost the case in the ECJ about refugee quotas. The EU is now considering financial penalties for the two countries if they don't comply (Slovakia, the third country has backed down and will accept their quota after the ECJ ruling). There is also a massive investigation going on into how Poland has spent the EEA contribution funds from the EFTA countries, after a few high profile cases where funds have been stolen by local politicians have surfaced.

Germany has no further obligation towards Poland, but the agreement was signed between the DDR and the old communist regime in Poland, so could be open to a legal challenge.
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/10/2017 2:33:33 PM
Many thanks gentlemen. You can always count on getting the back story from someone on this forum.

Cheers,

George

General Military History    
 Forum Ads from Google