(???? - 1799 AD) Pre-19th Century Battles    
AuthorMessage
john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

British regiments in the Colonies 1763
Posted on: 4/17/2017 9:10:35 AM
Does any know where I can find a list of British regiments in the American Colonies and available to Amherst in 1763? I believe there was about 8,000 men stationed here w/ 500 of these manning the western posts

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: British regiments in the Colonies 1763
Posted on: 4/17/2017 10:05:37 AM
Some interesting maps of the situation, but sorry no exact numbers of British troops!?

[Read More]

[Read More]

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 10:25:29 AM
John,

 This map is "close, but no cigar". It is the situation as of 1765 and identifies the regiments by number. It is perhaps possible to research the individual regiments to determine if they were in N America two years earlier. The image can be zoomed into a bit to see the regimental ID numbers better.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 10:48:09 AM
Does this help at all?

[Read More]

Of note is that some regiments were raised in North America and were comprised of men born in North America.

One of the regiments at the Battle of Québec in 1759 was nearly 100% North American. Now that could also include German and Irish immigrants.

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 10:53:55 AM
I don't know whether you are looking for specific regiments but this site profiles some of the British regiments. Just scroll down.

[Read More]

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 1:43:14 PM

Quote:
Does this help at all?

[Read More]

Of note is that some regiments were raised in North America and were comprised of men born in North America.

One of the regiments at the Battle of Québec in 1759 was nearly 100% North American. Now that could also include German and Irish immigrants.

--George

The immigrants from Ireland would generally be Presbyterian 'Scotch-Irish' from Ulster in this period, as the Sacramental Test Act, the famine (not Gorta Mor), and the high rents pushed a massive wave of Presbyterians to the Colonies. They were not keen to be called Irish, and in the first US census of 1790(?) were still describing themselves "Scots".

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 1:43:15 PM

Quote:
Does this help at all?

[Read More]

--George

The immigrants from Ireland would generally be Presbyterian 'Scotch-Irish' from Ulster in this period, as the Sacramental Test Act, the famine (not Gorta Mor), and the high rents pushed a massive wave of Presbyterians to the Colonies. They were not keen to be called Irish, and in the first US census of 1790(?) were still describing themselves "Scots".

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 4:46:44 PM
Thanks SJ. I was watching a TV piece on the construction of the Welland Canal that allows shipping to by-pass Niagara Falls to travel right into the heart of Canada.

It was built using manual labour, with pick and shovel. And apparently, many Irish immigrants were attracted to the area for the work which was back breaking.

The TV doc called them "Irish". Now I wonder whether we have been incorrectly identifying people.

Cheers,

George

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 4:52:03 PM
d

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/17/2017 4:52:50 PM

Quote:
Does any know where I can find a list of British regiments in the American Colonies and available to Amherst in 1763? I believe there was about 8,000 men stationed here w/ 500 of these manning the western posts
--john hayward

And a little more information.

[Read More]

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/18/2017 2:50:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks SJ. I was watching a TV piece on the construction of the Welland Canal that allows shipping to by-pass Niagara Falls to travel right into the heart of Canada.

It was built using manual labour, with pick and shovel. And apparently, many Irish immigrants were attracted to the area for the work which was back breaking.

The TV doc called them "Irish". Now I wonder whether we have been incorrectly identifying people.

Cheers,

George
--George

Sorry for the tangent George - I believe there were 3 or 4 Welland Canal projects in the 19th Century.
I can recommend John N Jackson's work "The Welland canals and their community(Toronto, 1997).
The era is the second wave of Irish migration. Both Protestant and Catholic.
By that time Orangeism was predominate amongst the Ulster Protestant immigrants. They turned the Canal shanty towns into a war zone with their feud with Catholic Ribbonmen/Fenian navvies.

The authorities recruited a Black militia (quite a few escaped US slaves) and clad them in redcoats to keep the peace during the 12th July 1849 and the "Battle of Slabtown"

john hayward
Allenstown, NH, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Posted on: 4/19/2017 11:55:19 AM
Thank you. I knew I could count on someone here to help. Wonderfully informed group of people

(???? - 1799 AD) Pre-19th Century Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google