(1900-1938) Pre-WWII Battles Other than WWI    
AuthorMessage
Mike Johnson
Stafford, VA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

US Marine Brigades
Posted on: 7/27/2016 8:19:19 PM

I found the above in a draft of the US Marine Corps portion of War Plan Orange. This document was pulled together by Major Ellis at HQMC in charge of the intelligence section of the Operations and Intelligence staff.

This chart shows the operating forces of the USMC in 1921 (it doesn't show detachments assigned to ships, shipyards, or embassies). The forces shown show the full strength in companies and what is available. Thus companies are usually well below full strength or aren't activated.

The 1st Brigade is in Haiti (with the only 2 companies of its 3rd Regiment in Cuba--there is a colonel listed in the 1921 Naval Register in command of the detachment in Cuba).

The 2nd Brigade is in the Dominican Republic (then called Santo Domingo).

These two brigades were parts of the Marine Corps Expeditionary Force, but worked for military governors working for the US State Department fighting the so-called Banana Wars.

The Advanced Base Force--which the Marine Corps portion of War Plan Orange was mostly about included the 4th Brigade (split between Quantico and San Diego and like the 1st and 2nd was an infantry brigade) and the 3rd Brigade which contained supporting elements at Quantico.

It appears to me that the 3rd Brigade has the following units:

2" Trench Mortar Company (4) 0
3" Trench Mortar Company (4) 0
6" Trench Mortar Company (4) 63
25cm Trench Mortar Company (4) 188
AA Gun Company (6) 0
Sea????????? (16) 63
S???????????? 0
Engineer Company 63
Signal Company 78
Air Service 261
HQ Company 225
Service Company 512

It appears that of 16 trench mortar companies of 4 sizes authorized, only 3 companies--1 6" and 2 (or maybe 3) 25cm companies existed. And so on. I can't figure out the two lines below the AA Gun Company. The first looks like it starts with "Sea" but I haven't been able to make it out. Of 16 companies at full strength, it appears only 1 existed with 63 personnel.

The second unknown company types kind of looks like it starts with "Sauna" (although that could be "Service")

I would appreciate ideas people might have.

Mike Johnson
Stafford, VA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: US Marine Brigades
Posted on: 7/27/2016 8:29:20 PM
I spend days looking at it multiple times and within seconds of posting for some help I see that the first unknown company (16 of them, but only 1 active) is a Searchlight Company.

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/27/2016 8:40:04 PM
I was just going to suggest searchlight. It would go with AA guns.

Could the first word in the next entry be shore? As in some sort of shore party?
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/28/2016 1:53:39 AM
 The scribble vaguely could be "searchlight maintenance".

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Mike Johnson
Stafford, VA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/28/2016 5:36:11 AM
Thank you Jim and BW. Both good possibilities. I am leaning toward "Searchlight maint". And that does make sense.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/28/2016 5:55:27 AM
Mike,

 Another possibility, related to AA work pre-radar, is "Sound Location" -- using acoustic location devices.

 On edit, I note the following text in the document from which the table was extracted:

Quote:
Good observation in a base defense should, therefore, include a complete system of listening-in devices, as well as salient visual observation stations. Tripod sea-phone installations (or magnetic loop), aircraft sound locators (paraboloid, 1300-lbs.) and radio compasses should all be thoroughly investigated, types most suitable secured and the personnel trained in their use.

Image:Sound Locator, T3, in 1927 (Photo: U.S. Army Signal Corps)

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Mike Johnson
Stafford, VA, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/28/2016 5:01:00 PM
Thank you. Another possibility. I did think about it but wasn't as successful at finding the equipment and dismissed the idea. Seeing the equipment makes me wonder. It does sound like it would be useful for the advanced base mission.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/15/2017 12:52:44 PM
Bump.
---------------

(1900-1938) Pre-WWII Battles Other than WWI    
 Forum Ads from Google