AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 94.175.43.226
The Battle of Kapyong--April 1951
Posted on: 6/26/2015 1:52:59 PM
Canadians would serve at sea, in the air and on the ground during the Korean War. The early stages of the conflict saw major swings in momentum. When the first Canadians soldiers—members of the 2nd Battalion of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (2 PPCLI)—set sail across the Pacific on November 25, 1950, the war looked to be nearing its end as the communist forces had been pushed back almost to the Chinese border. By the time the Canadians’ ship reached its destination, however, the situation had completely changed as China had intervened in support of North Korea and had launched a major offensive that retook much of the lost territory. The 2 PPCLI joined the action in mid-February 1951 under the command of the 27th British Commonwealth Infantry Brigade that was taking part in the UN advance pushing the enemy once again back across the 38th parallel.

The Battle of Kapyong
In late April 1951, the retreating Chinese and North Korean forces regrouped and counter-attacked in the western and west-central sectors of the front. The South Korean forces in one area were overwhelmed and hurriedly fell back, putting them in danger of being overrun and wiped out. The 27th British Commonwealth Infantry Brigade—along with its Canadian contingent— was called up from reserve to the Kapyong Valley to cover this desperate retreat.

[Read More]

Regards
Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

George
Haliburton, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: The Battle of Kapyong--April 1951
Posted on: 6/26/2015 3:59:08 PM
It was quite a battle and the Australians, and Canadians, fought bravely to stop the Chinese advance through the Kapyong Valley.

And while the Aussies and Canadians held the two large hills and withstood multiple Chinese attacks, this battle was also fought by the New Zealand artillery and the American 72nd Heavy Tank Regiment.

The British Middlesex Regiment also was active in the valley when the Chinese were storming the heights occupied by the Australians and later, the Canadians.

As well, when the Canadians were cut off for a while, they requested and air drop of ammunition and supplies and these were dropped accurately right on top of the defensive position by the C-119's of the USAF.

When the Canadian position was cut off the Middlesex sent patrols to the rear of Hill 677 to clear out any Chinese who had thoughts of climbing from that direction.

So the Battle of Kapyong is a famous one in Canada and in Australia. Both countries fought fiercely and many Chinese were killed trying to scale the heights.

But I always like to acknowledge the work of the multi-national Commonwealth Brigade (1st Commonwealth Division had not yet been formed), and the Americans in preventing the Chinese from heading down the valley to Seoul.

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/26/2015 4:19:36 PM

Quote:
Each year, a telegram comes to one American tank battalion that gained great tradition and prestige in the bloody hills, whose men, like those of the Glosters, learned to walk the hills with confidence and pride. Because of them, certain men living in England and elsewhere are still alive.

When the message comes to this battalion, however, the people in the Pentagon do not know what to do with it. On the rolls of the Pentagon, where slowly human hearts and the legends men live by are being replaced by computers, this unit no longer exists.

The Gloucestershire Regiment, now with forty-five battle honors and an American citation, will never understand.

-- T. R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War -- one of the finest books ever written about the Korean War.

Cheers

BW
---------------
Mammalian orders ARE orders, and they ARE meant to be nursed.

George
Haliburton, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/26/2015 5:24:08 PM
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (3 RAR)

2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. (2 PPCLI)

Both units awarded a US Presidential Citation for their work at the Battle of Kapyong.

I may be incorrect but I think that this battle honour bestowed by the United States to unit formations rather than individuals is unique. The US has chosen to award this honour to units from the nations of other countries who fight along side them.

It is a simple blue flash, usually worn on the right shoulder and I also believe that it came into being only after Pearl Harbor.

Originally called the Distinguished Unit Citation, it is awarded to units who display extraordinary heroism in the face of the enemy.

I hope that this is the correct image:

Sorry I looked but could not find a similar photo of a RAR wearing the blue flash.

While the Americans provided most of the combat troops I like to think that the Korean Conflict showed that the UN could work and could be an effective institution for keeping the peace.

The list of nations who helped to keep the South Koreans free is lengthy.

Cheers,

George

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/26/2015 6:20:56 PM
3RAR celebrate Kapyong Day, it being the first battle fought by the RAR and specifically 3btn since it's formation in 1949.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 94.175.43.226
Posted on: 6/27/2015 3:04:04 AM
George- am I correct in saying that 2nd Btn PPCLI was originally found to be not wholly satisfactory vis a vis some of their equipment was unsatisfactory and some of the men had to be returned to Canada as unsuitable.Once these adjustment had been made the unit was as good as any in theatre ???

regards
Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Kapyong
Perth, Australia
New User
E-2 Private

http://kapyong.5gbfree.com/
Posted on: 5/8/2016 10:17:35 PM
Greetings all

It was indeed a very interesting battle with several countries forces combining successfully.
I even took my name from it (no, I wasn't there.)

I have created a video documentary of the battle, perhaps readers will be interested.

There are four parts -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Ws1CWoDSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPciuhEQfM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-crbvLmznU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLuOf1yzDM

Regards,

Kapyong

(1946-1999) Other 20th Century Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google