MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login
 
 
Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/11/2017 4:07:56 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 1:30:40 PM

Quote:
The USAF WC-135C Constant Phoenix might be investigating a spike in radioactive levels in Norway. Someone speculates the release of this radionuclide could be the effect of a Russian nuclear test.

On Feb. 17, 2017, U.S. Air Force WC-135C Constant Phoenix Nuclear explosion “sniffer,” serial number 62-3582, using radio callsign “Cobra 55” deployed to RAF Mildenhall, UK. . . .

Although they cross the European airspace every now and then, their deployment in the Old Continent is somehow rare. As of yet, there has been no official statement from the U.S. military about the reasons why such nuclear research aircraft was deployed there. However, many sources suggest the aircraft was tasked with investigating the spike in Iodine levels detected in northern Europe since the beginning of January.

Iodine-131 (131I), a radionuclide of anthropogenic origin, has recently been detected in tiny amounts in the ground-level atmosphere in Europe. The preliminary report states it was first found during week 2 of January 2017 in northern Norway. Iodine-131 was also detected in Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, France and Spain, until the end of January.

However, no one seems to know the reason behind the released Iodine-131. Along with nuclear power plants, the isotope is also widely used in medicine and its presence in the air could be the effect of several different incidents.
[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major


Posts: 1935

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 1:43:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
The USAF WC-135C Constant Phoenix might be investigating a spike in radioactive levels in Norway. Someone speculates the release of this radionuclide could be the effect of a Russian nuclear test.

On Feb. 17, 2017, U.S. Air Force WC-135C Constant Phoenix Nuclear explosion “sniffer,” serial number 62-3582, using radio callsign “Cobra 55” deployed to RAF Mildenhall, UK. . . .

Although they cross the European airspace every now and then, their deployment in the Old Continent is somehow rare. As of yet, there has been no official statement from the U.S. military about the reasons why such nuclear research aircraft was deployed there. However, many sources suggest the aircraft was tasked with investigating the spike in Iodine levels detected in northern Europe since the beginning of January.

Iodine-131 (131I), a radionuclide of anthropogenic origin, has recently been detected in tiny amounts in the ground-level atmosphere in Europe. The preliminary report states it was first found during week 2 of January 2017 in northern Norway. Iodine-131 was also detected in Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, France and Spain, until the end of January.

However, no one seems to know the reason behind the released Iodine-131. Along with nuclear power plants, the isotope is also widely used in medicine and its presence in the air could be the effect of several different incidents.
[Read More]

Cheers

BW
--BWilson


My primary concern is that the Russian subs in the Kola peninsula have started rusting enough to release radioactive materials. This is really not a great sign, I agree Bill.
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 1:57:43 PM
 I take it you mean the ones lying on their side in the Google Earth satellite photos ? I think you are correct, Kai ... could be a very damaging environmental problem.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major


Posts: 1935

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 2:03:29 PM

Quote:
 I take it you mean the ones lying on their side in the Google Earth satellite photos ? I think you are correct, Kai ... could be a very damaging environmental problem.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson


The very ones yes. And all the cores from the nuclear light towers the Soviets operated.
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 2:04:30 PM
Kai,

 Wondering what you make of this ? The level in Poland is incredibly higher than surrounding regions. [Read More]



Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major


Posts: 1935

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 2:06:49 PM
Hmmm that is interesting indeed Bill. And with a half-time of just days, this would point to something having happened perhaps in Kaliningrad or Belaurs within the last week? Perhaps a small mishap with the new Russian Iskanders that are being placed?
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/21/2017 2:07:44 PM
Kai,

 I added an article link, may have something to do with pharmaceuticals. Iodine-131 is used in cancer treatment apparently.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/22/2017 2:34:06 AM
 Another article. Apparently first detected in Finnmark in January.

[Read More]

 Moscow has deployed the trolls. They are claiming the Iodine-131 leaks were caused by sloppy gas pipeline testing after an earthquake struck in the sea between Norway and the U.K. (their rationale is that Iodine-131 is used to test pipeline integrity). However, according to Ohio University's page on the uses of radioactive isotopes, this is not the case.


Quote:
Iodine-131
Used to treat thyroid disorders. (Former President George Bush and Mrs. Bush were both successfully treated for Graves’ disease, a thyroid disease, with iodine-131).
[Read More]

 Best I can tell is that Sodium-24 is the isotope used for checking on pipeline leaks and Iodine-131 is used for medical purposes (but I could well be wrong). What is notable ... is that a web search for "iodine 131" and "pipeline leak" will generate seemingly on-target hits because there are sites that list the industrial uses of many isotopes, including both the medical applications of Iodine-131 and the pipeline applications of Sodium-24 ... but the short blurb returned by the hit doesn't make that clear ... one actually has to go the URL and see the full page to get the full picture. Perhaps the trolls hope that people won't dig that deep.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major


Posts: 1935

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 2/22/2017 12:14:22 PM

Quote:
 Another article. Apparently first detected in Finnmark in January.

[Read More]

 Moscow has deployed the trolls. They are claiming the Iodine-131 leaks were caused by sloppy gas pipeline testing after an earthquake struck in the sea between Norway and the U.K. (their rationale is that Iodine-131 is used to test pipeline integrity). However, according to Ohio University's page on the uses of radioactive isotopes, this is not the case.



I see you found the Barents Observer Bill - it is a very good and reliable paper for Northern affairs.

Most interesting that the Russians are deploying their trolls for this (I have observed the same when I have researched this a bit now) -in itself that would inficate that the source of the incident is in Russia....


Quote:
Perhaps the trolls hope that people won't dig that deep.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson



That is pretty much the basis for troll tactics. Mostpeople only read the google head line results and are suddenly experts in whatever fields they have searched...
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major


Posts: 3508

Re: Iodine-131 in the Arctic is NOT a good sign
Posted on: 6/14/2017 5:49:33 AM
 I note this story was buried rather quickly. One wonders what the radiation-sniffing aircraft found.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google