MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/22/2017 3:16:15 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Predators versus Drones
Posted on: 2/22/2017 3:46:03 PM

Quote:
France hopes to combat the drone scourge with the original terror of the skies—eagles.

According to Reuters, the French Air Force began training four eagles last year to attack drones after seeing successful police trails[sic] in the Netherlands. These birds' training began at birth with handlers placing their shells on top of a drone, and after hatching, keeping them there during their early feeding period. This helps prepare the eagles to be a drone's worst nightmare.
[Read More]

 I like it. One hopes, though, they don't take casualties at the rate messenger pigeons did.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Predators versus Drones
Posted on: 2/22/2017 6:55:22 PM
Twisting the meaning just a bit, this certainly does redefine that old French bugaboo: "Force de frappe". Brings back de Gaulle in vivid memory!

I've seen some footage of the impact a trained eagle can have on small drones. It's devastating. And I guess we've all seen how successfully raptors can be trained, so why not expect some of the smaller hawks against some smaller drones?

My mind is flooded with questions both valid and silly:
• what are the costs of training a raptor compared with that of building a drone?
• what are the costs of training a bird trainer compared with that of training a drone pilot/manipulator?
• which creature (raptor or drone) is more sensitive to its environment?
• which creature (raptor or drone) requires more care and protection during down-times?
• would an auto-destruct device built into a drone raise the cost of the drone sufficiently that auto-destruction is no longer a viable option?

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Predators versus Drones
Posted on: 2/22/2017 8:36:22 PM
Falconry goes way back historically,

I say bring on the Raptors!
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google