MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/14/2017 9:33:05 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Demanding duties !
Posted on: 2/23/2017 2:54:20 AM

Quote:
“The German army faces demands like never before,” Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen said in a statement, adding that the army had to be able to respond in an appropriate way to developments abroad and security concerns.

 Hmm, I don't know, Frau von der Leyen ... could be that Stalingrad was just a tad more demanding

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Lightning
Glasgow, UK
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Re: Demanding duties !
Posted on: 2/23/2017 9:53:21 AM
One can imagine the scene in the German Defence Ministry as they drafted the press release to highlight the increasing burden on German forces...

"Don't mention the war!"

"Which one?!"

Prost!

Colin
---------------
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/23/2017 12:30:38 PM
I remember a quote at the time of the invasion of iraq:

"It's a strange thing. Everybody is complaining because the Germans don't want to go to war".

I wonder what the reaction would be if a german Kanzler/in proclaimed " We are going to make Germany great again ! Deutschland über Alles "

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 2/24/2017 3:29:46 PM

Quote:
I remember a quote at the time of the invasion of iraq:

"It's a strange thing. Everybody is complaining because the Germans don't want to go to war".

I wonder what the reaction would be if a german Kanzler/in proclaimed " We are going to make Germany great again ! Deutschland über Alles "

Trevor
--scoucer

I agree.

Germany's defence budget is about $40 billion at 1.2% of GDP, if they went to 2% of GDP they'd be spending $66 billion. That's serious money; panzer corps, carrier battle group, amphibious/airborne brigade group, deploy forces in world troublespots money.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/25/2017 6:24:41 AM
As one German caberetist put it last night - " Of course Greece is paying over 2% -they're using our money. We'Re paying both ".

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google