MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/20/2017 12:17:47 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
Page 2 of 2 (Page: 1  2) 
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Aussie P.M. Announces Military Combat Roles are Open to Women.
Posted on: 3/13/2017 7:29:05 AM

Quote:
Ok so, here's a bit of cultural/anthropological context ( note: language/humour/PC warning!)
- that demonstrates the 'action-stations' differences in hormonal effects of testosterone/adrenaline in the same species/different gender..

[Read More]
--James W.

LOL. Not on topic, but raunchy humor.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 3/13/2017 8:52:57 AM
General Rules-Reminder

1. No personal insults or attacks. Rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks on this board are not tolerated and will lead to a compelete and permanent ban. Be respectful, be polite and do not insult.

2. No trolling or flaming. Do not post trolling (baiting) posts and do not flame (insult) other members.

3. No obscene language or obscene material. Do not post vulgar or otherwise inappropriate words or material.
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

Phil Andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/13/2017 1:04:52 PM
Times change.

I've just picked up my little grandson from school; his teacher drew me aside and explained that the little chap had to be reprimanded because he had been " play fighting ".....something which is frowned upon.

What's wrong with that ?

A little boy must not be allowed to play at fighting: a young woman is trained for front line combat.

What the Friar Tuck is happening in this world ?

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/13/2017 1:40:18 PM
Phil, it's all about the parents and the courts.

School boards (authorities) cannot afford law suits and many parents are willing to go that route to prove negligence.

I was a teacher as you know and even in the gym, I had to be very sure that I had considered all safety measures even down to appropriate instruction to ensure that negligence could not be charged. I would do that anyway. It's the responsible thing to do.

My board, my employer had a fellow on staff who was the legal advisor. He was not a lawyer but it was his job to make court cases go away and often that meant a cash settlement.

I recall one incident in which a young lady slipped on an ice patch outside the school and sprained her wrist. De-icer had been applied by the caretakers but you still have to walk carefully.

Her mom arrived and the teenaged girl started to cry. Mom said, "stop crying, you just got your university tuition paid for". Nice. She didn't even know the details.

I was teaching in a gym and noticed a man in a suit standing at the door. He was repeatedly opening the door and releasing it and punching a stop watch upon each release. The door had one of those hydraulic closers that allow the door to close slowly and then release at the end so that the door catches.

Apparently some little kid, during the summer sports programmes, had tried to squeeze through the door just as it was about to close completely.
He caught his baby finger in the door and broke it. Law suit. So the guy at the door was working for the board and collecting data to prove that the door was working correctly.

So play fighting. It's just not on I'm afraid.

Programmes get cancelled and so does normal kid play. There are some elementary schools in my province where the playing of tag is banned.

In Toronto last year a mother was walking by the school when a soccer ball hit her in the head, while she was walking on the sidewalk. She phoned the CBC and got on the air to wail about her possible concussion and the negligence of the teaching staff who allowed the kids to play too close to the fence line. She said that it was too dangerous to have a soccer ball flying about during recess.

Personally, I have performed first aid on hundreds of kids over the years. I was working at one school and another teacher asked me to look at the swollen ankle of a teenager who had sprained it in a PE class. I knelt down and gently picked up her foot.

She looked at me and in all seriousness said, "If you hurt me, we'll sue." I dropped her foot and said, "deal with it yourself then". No ice, no compression, no elevation. Was I wrong? There was something in her voice that told me that the situation could be dangerous for me. So I went to the office and told the VP to deal with it. First time ever that I was afraid to perform simple first aid on what was really a common sports injury.

Cheers,

George

Phil Andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/13/2017 2:06:45 PM
Thanks, George....your stories fill me with dismay!

I was literally lost for words a couple of hours ago when that teacher confronted me.

Had I not experienced this, I would have refused to believe it.

My wife taught for forty years.

Gender is converging in a manner that I find utterly bewildering.

My little anecdote has some relevance to this thread....at least, I hope so.

How I wish that I had invented the story: or just exaggerated it !

Regards, Phil
---------------

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/13/2017 3:23:38 PM
I'm not so sure that the decisions to ban certain types of activities are gender based Phil.

There is little difference in the bodies of little kids that would preclude them from playing together. So boys and girls on a tyke soccer team would not be unusual.

While kids often segregate themselves by gender, it is not unusual to see a little girl, often bigger than the little boys at certain ages, participating with them.

When a school takes the step to shut down some activity, it applies to all. You can be assured of that.

I take it that you feel that the natural tendency for boys to rough house has been denied them and I get that.

Think of all the games that we played as kids in which the goal seemed to be to kill one another. British Bulldog, Red Rover, War games, and play fighting too.

Unfortunately, free form play without supervision seems to be a thing of the past.

Even playgrounds have to be modified by cities and towns so that the kids don't climb too high and risk falling. Tire swings removed. Metal jungle gyms taken down.

Cheers,

George

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 3/14/2017 3:45:39 AM
Funnily enough, my father was a career school teacher,
& long after he retired, he told me that he always had to check himself professionally in the school environment..

Just as it was an embarrassment for a school kid to call him 'dad', he said he'd really have to concentrate to resist the reflex impulse to thump the annoying pupils,
- whereas that was something he'd subject me & my siblings to summarily/instantly, & sans school-like due process or explanation..

( Having stated that, he was "vicious, but fair" as Monty Python's F.C. would put it, unlike many mean-spirited teachers I'd encountered).

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/14/2017 7:16:21 AM
A reassuring corollary to my story : my daughter remonstrated about the restrictions placed on her son's play fighting ; she required clarification as to the whys and wherefores.

The Head Teacher of the school telephoned and explained that the play fighting had transgressed into actual kicking and slapping ....and that there was no intention to prevent the healthy letting off of steam that these little boys need.

This has placated me.

You can probably see where I've been coming from.

As a sixty something grandpa and curmudgeon - and I'm aware that some of the more enlightened posts on this thread have come from people older than I am - I recoil from a lot of this PC stuff around " gender issues ".

I must unburden my soul....the prospect of women being deployed in front line combat appalls me.

I know that I speak from the heart here : it's an emotional reaction on my part. If I try and argue the case rationally, I'll lose.

And I know how successful the women Kurdish warriors have been.

As a father and grandfather of women and girls, I can think of few things more repellent to me than the prospect of my girls going into front line combat.

Do I think that this implies my view of women is condescending ; or that I reckon that it implies a general inferiority ? No....nothing could be further from the truth.

Regards , Phil
---------------

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 3/14/2017 8:04:32 AM
Although I have to agree with Phil regarding the generality of the nature of women-we must not lose sight of what this thread was originally about-it was about offering the opportunity to those women who are robust enough and genuinely capable- in mind and spirit- of being a combat soldier- to enlist as such.

They are a very tiny minority-I've seen the figure of 8 per annum- for the UK talked about.I firmly believe that this sort of woman should not be denied her destiny.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
Page 2 of 2 (Page: 1  2) 
 Forum Ads from Google