MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/15/2017 10:56:47 AM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

The New Forest Brothers
Posted on: 4/15/2017 6:31:55 AM
 Talk about hospitality. The soldiers of the Estonian Army have relinquished their barracks to British troops, and the Estonians will now live in tented camps.

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: The New Forest Brothers
Posted on: 4/15/2017 9:31:48 AM
 I wonder if NATO considered the PR implications in this case. It is tailor-made for Russian propaganda to exploit ("Invite in NATO and get your army kicked into the woods!")

 No doubt this arrangement was made under some kind of quid pro quo, but taken without background information, it doesn't present a good appearance.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/15/2017 7:08:41 PM
Bill, part of me thinks NATO considered this very carefully. What's wrong with seeing warriors willing to live with privations in defence of their country? Except for the weapon the soldier is holding, what separates this from the image of the "Russian" lad defending the Rodina against the Teutonic Hordes? I could see Russian troops responding to this rather positively, should any Russian troops in Belarus or Kaliningrad have access to the equivalent of "Time" magazine!

To my knowledge, I have at best 25% Scandinavian genes in my body, and none further east than Sweden. But I like a good sauna, or what passes for a sauna in the New World. I would hope that those poor, deprived Estonian troops are being invited by local families to cleanse body and soul in the family sauna. I sense that Canadian forces might whinge at giving up hot water, or maybe access to ice cubes for their "rum and cokes". Doesn't have quite the same ring, does it!

Cheers
Brian G

PS: Your new avatar is fascinating/challenging. I'm not sure whether it's just a powder blue, jacked up personal death wish for rough country, or it's a UN gun platform on assignment somewhere that there's nobody shooting back!

B
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/16/2017 7:51:46 AM
Brian,

 FWIW, I thought the military indoctrination process was backwards. They teach recruits barracks tasks first and THEN take them to "the field". I thought the recruits should be brought to a field encampment, taught the basics of close-order drill (for ease of moving them around) and then be immersed in field-craft. Once able to perform "in the field" ... THEN bring them to the barracks environment for the final part of training. It would be more expensive, but I think it would pay dividends in terms of competence in basic soldiering ... especially as many recruits today come from city environments with limited experience in the outdoors. So, in terms of training, I think the Estonians are on a good track. The Estonian warrant officer seemed to think so as well.

 Heh, the U.S. troops in the SuwaƂki Gap were told to get used to eating potatoes ... a lot. "No Burger King!" -- but what U.S. authorities don't understand is that Poles will soon show up with mobile kitchens offering food familiar to Americans. I expect the Canadians, British, and Germans in the Baltic Republics will have similar experiences. There's always money to be made in these situations, and, after all, why not ? It is a "win" all around.

 I need a vehicle here like the one the avatar depicts. Bumpy roads and potholes galore!

Cheers

BW
---------------

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/16/2017 9:00:17 AM
That reminds me of a story my Dad told me. The war was over and he was confined to base in Wilhelmshaven, Germany in 1945.

The army was trying to encourage men to volunteer for duty in the Pacific war and the men that did volunteer were immediately allowed to head into the town of Wilhelmshaven. That was the first of the perks offered to volunteers. The second was a trip home for a 30 day leave.

They came back with stories of an "American kitchen" that was serving hamburgers, right in Wilhelmshaven. Dad said that he hadn't seen a burger in over 5 years.

That wasn't the only reason that he signed the papers to volunteer but he did say that they all wanted to find that US kitchen, just to have a hamburger.

Why the US would have a kitchen in Wilhelmshaven, I don't know. There were USO shows held there so maybe that was it.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/16/2017 9:56:58 AM
Your right George the US Hamburger making kitchen should have been in "Hamburg, Germany"!

grill em, & flip em!

[Read More]

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/16/2017 12:39:32 PM

Quote:
Your right George the US Hamburger making kitchen should have been in "Hamburg, Germany"!

grill em, & flip em!

[Read More]

MD
--Michigan Dave

Good one MD.

Brian Williams
Atlanta, GA, USA
Administrator

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com
Posted on: 4/16/2017 5:08:15 PM
I've been stationed with the British before. I hope the Estonians take everything out of the barracks before they leave because it won't be there when they return. . I spent several weeks with them and let's just say our "loss" rate of everything from cots to jackets to sleeping bags was through the roof.

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google