MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/23/2017 2:21:18 AM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

US Marines in Norway
Posted on: 5/21/2017 2:35:53 PM
The US Marines have been training in Norway for about six months now, and it hasn't gone all that well yet to be honest. A lot of the equipment has been found to be useless, but luckily that is what training is for so hopefully it can be replaced with gear that works.

A friend of mine from the Norwegian army that works with them told me that he was initially concerned when the soldiers turned up in thin cotton underwear and uniforms that seemed to be essentially just desert uniforms with a different camo pattern. The local shops have been doing good trade in woolen underwear and longjohns apparently...

The actual training is conducted by Royal Marines instructors, the RM having trained regularly with Norwegian units for the past 30 years at least, probably longer.

All in all this is an excellent example of organisational learning getting lost. As focus for US units (the Marines included) has been on warm weather locations over the past 15 years, collective learning built up from winter operations has been forgotten and equipment has been allowed to get old. I am sure this is a wake up call and the next group of Marines to arrive will be far better prepared I expect.

[Read More]
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: US Marines in Norway
Posted on: 5/21/2017 4:15:32 PM
That's interesting. The US Marines were on a training session at CFB Valcartier in Québec not long ago.

The video that I saw indicated deep snow but it was late winter so conditions weren't as cold as they could be. But, everybody was in toques and what looked like winter gear but you never know what was underneath the camo.

The marines were especially interested in the operation of the stoves so that they would be warm in the tents.

The US officer was asked what he thought of the exercises and he said and I paraphrase, "We don't get weather like this in southern California so this adds another tool to the tool box. " He's correct of course but proper winter gear is critical.

Cheers,

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/25/2017 10:02:06 PM
You mean these guys!?

[Read More]

not to be out done, for Norway!

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 5/26/2017 9:57:45 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. The US Marines were on a training session at CFB Valcartier in Québec not long ago.

The video that I saw indicated deep snow but it was late winter so conditions weren't as cold as they could be. But, everybody was in toques and what looked like winter gear but you never know what was underneath the camo.

The marines were especially interested in the operation of the stoves so that they would be warm in the tents.

The US officer was asked what he thought of the exercises and he said and I paraphrase, "We don't get weather like this in southern California so this adds another tool to the tool box. " He's correct of course but proper winter gear is critical.

Cheers,

George

--George

It was very much the same when Norwegian troops went to Afghanistan and Iraq - equipment that was essentially designed to be all-year equipment in Northern Norway, worked badly in the desert conditions and lessons had to be learnt quickly. In Afghanistan, luckily, the Norwegian sector frequently saw snow so it felt more like home...

I often wondered what the Norwegian army would do if the Russians would attack in July - all training is done in winter and most equipment is designed to work best in winter conditions. (don't tell Putin I said that...). We'd probably end up lookingvlike Rhodesians in olive drab shorts and t shorts.
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google