MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/21/2017 1:48:22 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Mistral round two
Posted on: 5/31/2017 2:56:31 PM
After France decided to sell the two Mistral class amphibious landing ships/helicopter carriers to Egypt instead of Russia, there has been speculation that the ships would eventually end up in Russia anyway.

Now it looks like we are one step closer to that, since Egypt and Russia have announced a deal to equip the Mistrals with Russian Ka-52K attack helicopters (as the Russians had originally intended.)

More interestingly though, part of the contract stipulates that Russia will supply maintenance services for the Mistral ships (not only the helicopters and associated systems) together with France, which essentially gives Russia full access to all data about the ships. I would expect two Russian copies will be launched within five years.

It is also not impossible that Russia will be able to "rent" operational capacity from the two Egyptian ships in the Med, should they so wish. I suppose Libya and the planned Russian incursion there might give a quick answer.

On another note, two operational Egyptian Mistrals each with 8-16 Ka-52K attack helicopters could/should pose a bit of concern for Israel, although I imagine their Dolphin target computers allready have the profiles stored....

K
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google