MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/14/2017 1:24:49 AM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

The timing here is interesting
Posted on: 6/14/2017 8:36:42 PM
Three days after Pres Trump praised the other Arab states for cutting ties with terror funding Qatar, this deal goes through.
[Read More]

I suppose money spent on jets can't at the same time fund Hamas and Hezbollah...
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: The timing here is interesting
Posted on: 6/14/2017 9:28:55 PM
Kai, isn't this really a question of whether Mr Trump or the US military will last longer? The folks in Doha don't need Mr Trump's blessing, so long as they don't lose their base. Buying rather antiquated a/c (the F-15 is pretty long in the tooth, isn't it?) to keep the US sweet might more than make up for having to endure the insults and condemnations of Mr Trump.

At the same time, I am reminded of the nasty battles between Erhard Milch and Ernst Udet over control of the developing Luftwaffe. Rumour has it that someone whispered in Göring's ear that one of them (I believe it was Udet) was a half-Jew. Göring's reply was something like "I will decide who is or isn't Jewish."

I'm not trying to do an imitation of Senator McCain here. But it seems that in this case the Department of Defense (and/or the Department of Commerce) has made the point that, whatever Mr Trump might say, Qatar can expect business as usual.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/15/2017 2:45:11 AM
the F-15 is pretty long in the tooth, isn't it?

Brian,

 As I understand modern combat aircraft, it is more a question of airframe condition and the "block" (configuration) of the aircraft's subsystems. An F-15 with modern avionics is still a highly lethal aircraft, especially in the Middle East.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/15/2017 5:02:08 AM
In design terms yes the F15 is 45+ years old, so it lacks the partial stealth of something like a Super Hornet or Typhoon let alone the much greater stealth of the F35. That said the F15 is one awesome plane with stacks of power, a fantastic performer and as BW said they're new-build aircraft with all the latest whiz-bang electronics (that the US will allow them to have) and will be pretty lethal. Korea and Singapore have both bought late model F15s in the last decade, and I doubt the US will allow Qatar to be the first Arab customer for the F35.

Big sales like this require Congressional approval, (some more than others, as it happens the US does have favourites) I can't recall the involvement of the President or the Cabinet in this sort of thing.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/15/2017 1:56:11 PM

Quote:

I'm not trying to do an imitation of Senator McCain here. But it seems that in this case the Department of Defense (and/or the Department of Commerce) has made the point that, whatever Mr Trump might say, Qatar can expect business as usual.

Cheers
Brian G
--brian grafton

That was my thought as well, given the timing of this announcement. For all the blustering about financing terror, this statement screams "you might have been a bit naughty but we will not hold you to it".

I am sure the deal has been brewing for months and was ready to be announced anyway, but someone MUST have asked the question about what signals are being sent to the region.
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/15/2017 6:45:20 PM
Bill, Ryan, Thanks for the reminders. Being antiquated does not make an a/c useless. I understand that. And IIUC, F-15s are part of Saudi military strength, so Qatar isn't being undersold. Configuration is all, of course, together with skill, training and the like.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google