MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/11/2017 12:17:46 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Canadian sniper drops terrorist at range of 3.5 kilometers !
Posted on: 6/22/2017 10:06:56 AM

Quote:
A sniper with Canada’s elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,540 metres.

Sources say a member of Joint Task Force 2 killed an Islamic State insurgent with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq. It took under 10 seconds to hit the target.

[Read More]

 That is a long way just to see without distortion caused by air turbulence, dust, etc. Great job by a Canadian soldier.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Canadian sniper drops terrorist at range of 3.5 kilometers !
Posted on: 6/22/2017 10:28:33 AM
Cracking report Bill-very interesting indeed-as you point this was quite a feat given the conditions appertaining.Quite remarkable rifle too

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/22/2017 1:01:46 PM
We don't hear much about these guys or what they are doing over there.

JTF2 doesn't usually acknowledge anything. One of their jobs would be to deal with acts of domestic terrorism when municipal police forces need help.

JTF2 serves under the umbrella of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command. If I understand the command structure, they are directly part of the Special Operations Regiment but with different tasks assigned.

So I knew the S.O. Reg. was present. I didn't know that the JTF2 were there with them.

Their mission in Iraq is described as one of training and advice. I thought that the Special Operations Regiment was working exclusively with the Peshmerga, the Kurds. The Kurds have been asking the Canadians to support their sovereignty claims within Iraq but Canada is keeping its mouth shut about that.

It was a remarkable feat of marksmanship by this Canadian soldier. There is a bit of history there that goes back to the Great War when some of the top allied snipers were with the Canadian Corps.

I have to confess that I get a bit squeamish about celebrating the killing of another man, even an enemy combatant, and tallying the distance of the shot, as though it was sport.

How do the snipers respond to a situation like this? Is the mood celebratory or more of a "I did my job" reaction?

I expect that they are proud of their marksmanship and the effectiveness of the sniper team.

To be effective, I should think that the sniper would have to emotionally disassociate himself from the task. Otherwise, wouldn't killing weigh heavily on the man?

I recently watched a documentary about the Canadian Black Watch recce teams who were expert snipers during WW2. In a re-enactment, one man was observing for a man that he was training. The man shot and killed his target and the trainer said, "Now, stop counting". I don't know whether that line was added to soften the image of a Canadian as a cold killer.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/22/2017 2:17:44 PM
That is quite spectacular indeed. Most sniper rifles have an effective range of 1,500-2,000 metres (not sure about the specifics for the T-50 but would think around the same), so taking a shot at 3,500 is remarkable.

Should also mention that the shooter must have an excellent spotter as well - the spotter is the one doing many of the calculations for wind, heat etc and feeding data to the shooter.

Well done indeed.

As for George's question about how snipers deal with these things - at least the few snipers I know are very down to earth people, that have a strong and realistic understanding of what they do (kill people) and the implications of this. They tend to not want to brag about it. I remember one Kurdish snipe telling me that he found it much easier to shoot someone with a Kalashnikov at a range of 50 metres, than use a Dragunov to take someone out at 500 metres - basically the cope and the intense focus makes the kill very intimate and personal in a whole different way.

Whatever fist pumping and whooping gets done, tend to be done by other soldiers without the same basic attitude I think. I doubt this Canadian guy would be the first to volunteer for a tv interview about this.
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/22/2017 4:37:37 PM
[Read More]

Is this the same Canadian sniper?

Also this UK Sniper killed 6 insurgents in 2013 with 1 shot!?

[Read More]

that's shooting,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/22/2017 6:42:20 PM
He's a Brit Dave.

George

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 5:49:19 AM
IIRC the longest tank gun kill was ~5300m in PGW1 1991, this sniper shot is getting up there and getting close air to air missile engagement range. That is an incredible feat.

Canada seems to crowd the list of top long range snipers, I don't know what else they're doing over there but the sniper course must be the best in the world.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 8:52:44 AM
The military in Canada, and maybe they lifted the term, but they refer to sniper teams as "force multipliers". I don't know where the term came from but the explanation is that the snipers free a lot of other soldiers to continue the fight making them a greater force than they would be without the snipers.

Have I got that right?

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 2:18:42 PM

Quote:
IIRC the longest tank gun kill was ~5300m in PGW1 1991, this sniper shot is getting up there and getting close air to air missile engagement range. That is an incredible feat.

Canada seems to crowd the list of top long range snipers, I don't know what else they're doing over there but the sniper course must be the best in the world.
--Riaindevoy

It's my understanding that most of the snipers in the Canadian Army have come through the recce course which is very demanding physically and mentally.

So you join the infantry first and show some aptitude there.

If selected, you must pass the Recce Patrolman's course.

Then the people above you have to recognize that you may have an aptitude for the sniper role.

Then you have to pass, Pre-sniper training.

I was reading from a site on which serving soldiers and vets talk about various issues.

Several of them said that if you want to kill your chances of becoming a sniper, then start telling everyone that you want to be a sniper before you have completed the pre-requisite courses.

Apparently the powers that be don't want cowboys in that role.

I understand that the drop-out rate, once someone gets into Sniper School, is very high. A good number of the candidates have taken international courses offered by other countries, even before they go through the CF programmes.

Oh and you have to be able to shoot.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/23/2017 6:00:49 PM
Sounds like the SASR, but they're not setting world records for long distance shooting all the time. I think Canada must be doing something different than other countries with the actual shooting course to get these record long range shots, or maybe these snipers get set to the high altitude places where the air is thin because Canadians love the cold.

Snipers are a force multiplier; they shoot officers to degrade command and control, they shoot people at latrines so soldiers crap in their pits and shoot delicate electronics such as tank gun sights or fighter radars.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 6/24/2017 8:44:17 AM
Riain,

Those guys can flat out shoot!!!
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/24/2017 7:47:47 PM

Quote:
Riain,

Those guys can flat out shoot!!!
--Michigan Dave

Like nobody else apparently!
---------------

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google