MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/13/2017 10:10:55 AM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

options for the common European defense
Posted on: 8/30/2017 2:17:48 AM

Quote:
CEPA’s Doran offered four recommendations, based on lessons from that smoldering Russo-Ukrainian War. Thermobaric, cluster-bombing, precision-guided artillery is causing 70 to 85 percent of the casualties, so it’s time for European armies to seriously relearn counter-battery operations. Killing howitzer crews is best, but harassing them may be enough. When Russian artillery is scooting, it’s not shooting.

[Read More]

 Some interesting comments in this article.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: options for the common European defense
Posted on: 8/31/2017 12:36:05 PM
Thanks for posting Bill, this is a very good summary of the situation I think. A seemingly impressive, but hollow Russian Army vs seemingly unimpressive, but more than capable individual European forces.

As the article notes, ultimately it comes down to political will. If the political will is there, so is the money, the technology and the trained soldiers.

The 2% target is useful as a reminder but really does not tell much in terms of fighting ability and how sensible defence budgets are being spent.

K
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 8/31/2017 1:28:45 PM
Kai,

 A lot of variables. I hear you when you write of the "hollow Russian Army", but I damn sure would not have wanted to experience what you did that night you were under Russian 122-rocket fire. Even when nation-states have massive problems, their armed forces can still be very dangerous. The casualties of 1945 as a result of completely collapsing Hitler's forces comes to mind.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 8/31/2017 9:12:51 PM

Quote:
Kai,

 A lot of variables. I hear you when you write of the "hollow Russian Army", but I damn sure would not have wanted to experience what you did that night you were under Russian 122-rocket fire. Even when nation-states have massive problems, their armed forces can still be very dangerous. The casualties of 1945 as a result of completely collapsing Hitler's forces comes to mind.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

Very true, the Russian artillery is very real indeed and scary as hell. But not all that accurate, which is a problem for them if fighting something else than the static trench warfare they face in Ukraine. From experience, the Ukrainian artillery is now general;y able to fire back with great accuracy, despite still being short on targeting radars etc. simple mobile apps that calculate likely trajectories etc make up for some of the lacking technology. The Russians do not show the same flexibility and generally sit and wait for someone above them in the system to solve the issues they face.

However, the Russian army may have clay feet, but I think attacking Russia, and trying to capture Moscow was, and still is, a very different proposition than fighting a defensive war to keep the Russians out of Poland, i.e. one should never doubt the Russian will and ability to defend their homeland, regardless of who is in power, but the claws are blunted a lot when the fight is not defensive and existential.

Although the article you posted essentially writes off the T-72 class as a threat to modern European armour, the Russians do have a lot of them of course, and quantity will always be a factor as well.

K
---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google