MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 11/19/2017 7:06:57 PM
 (2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
AuthorMessage
George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Canada suspends training mission in Iraq
Posted on: 10/28/2017 7:28:52 AM
This should have been anticipated and likely was.

Canadian special forces have been involved in the war against ISIS by training first, Kurdish Peshmerga troops.

Later they did the same thing with Iraqi security forces.

But the Kurds have never stopped claiming that they want to be an independent nation and of course, the Iraqi government opposes that.

The Kurds held a referendum on the issue in Sept. and the pro-indepence side won. The Iraqis rejected the results.

While the fighting was going on, the Kurds kept asking for Canadian support in their quest for independence.

The Canadian government chose not to comment and affirmed that its mission was to assist in the defeat of ISIS.

So what has happened?

Well, Kirkuk fell and on Oct. 16, fighting broke out between the Kurds and the Iraqi security forces.

A ceasefire has been put in place but tensions are high.

The Canadian mandate was to assist Iraq in the war against ISIS and initially that included the Peshmerga people.

The Canadian government tried to deliver weapons to the Kurds but the Iraqi government would not sign off on it.

So this part of the Canadian mission has been suspended until the government can get a read on what is happening between the two sides.
Other aspects of the Canadian mission are still ongoing.

Other countries are involved in training the Iraqi Security force.

How are they handling this conflict between Iraq and the Kurdish population in the north? Has any other country suspended training operations?

[Read More]

I sometimes think that the complexities of ethnic relations in this part of the world make it nearly impossible to effect change and bring peace.

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Canada suspends training mission in Iraq
Posted on: 10/28/2017 7:50:36 AM
So this part of the Canadian mission has been suspended until the government can get a read on what is happening between the two sides.

 I'm not well read enough to comment authoritatively (Kai likely can do that) ... but on the surface of it, Canada's action seems prudent.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/28/2017 8:04:44 AM
Thanks BW. Yes, Kai has great insight into developments there.

I am concerned that the Kurds will be hung out to dry. The Canadian special forces and forces from other countries worked with them for quite a while. The Kurds fought against the common enemy but never lost sight of the ultimate goal.

Surely all of those countries anticipated the possibility of civil unrest between the Kurds and Iraq.

Cheers,

George

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 10/29/2017 8:58:13 PM
Prudent action makes a lot of sense. So does honour. I'm at sea on this issue.

Did Canada make pledges to the Kurds about support as a national body, or just as a group fighting against ISIS? Was Canada "at war" with ISIS as an entity, or simply as a threat in a totally unstable area. I don't know. Does Canada unequivocally support the current Iraq regime, or does it have a somewhat different diplomatic vision that might include a free Kurdistan? I dunno.

I agree, Canada's action has been prudent. I simply hope we haven't abandoned a cultural group who was convinced we supported their claims beyond destruction of ISIS.

Cheers
Brian G

---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

George
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/30/2017 7:53:31 AM
Brian I am reasonably sure that Canada confirmed that their support, when they were training the Kurds, was only offered to assist in the defeat of Daesh.

However, I recall an article that I read a few months ago that said that the Canadian government was going to provide more advanced weaponry to the Kurds. The Iraqis said no.

I would speculate that the Iraqis anticipated a resumption of conflict, political or military, with the Kurds and didn't want them armed any more than they were.

As well, one of the Canadian commanders noted that the operations involving Kurds were often isolated away from operations conducted by the Iraqi Security Force. I don't know whether that is still the case.

I agree that the decision by Canada is prudent until we know whether the Iraqis and Kurds will not be shooting at one another.

I don't know how well the Canadian soldiers came to know the Kurdish soldiers but I suspect quite well. However, they also trained Iraqis and would know some of them quite well.

Best to stand back. Other nations must be in the same boat. The training cadre was an international group and Canada's contribution was 200-300.

However, the other Canadian missions involving surveillance and a combat hospital are still going on.

Cheers,

George

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)    
 Forum Ads from Google