Military Wargaming    
AuthorMessage
SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

New 10mm Korean war range
Posted on: 10/27/2016 1:12:07 PM
I note that Pendraken - a couple of canny lads from Co Durham, England have commissioned sculptor Phil Lewis to create a very extensive range of Korean war figures in 1/150 scale or 10mm. This compliments their comprehensive AFV/APC/soft skin range.

With current exchange rates these figures should be good value Stateside, The company are currently conducting a preferendum on what figures their customers would want. They are also revising their Blitzkrieg Commander Rules.

I have to declare an interest as Pendraken asked me to research and advise on uniforms, web kit and weapons. I am much impressed by the level of detail that Phil gets at this small scale.

see www.pendrakenforum.co.uk

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: New 10mm Korean war range
Posted on: 10/27/2016 1:48:43 PM
 Re: equipment of U.S. Army.

 My father arrived in-theater for duty as a rifle platoon leader directly after the Chinese offensive in November 1950. His description to me was something like "the U.S. Army was retreating its ass off ... my platoon had lost most of their weapons and equipment ... as we moved south past piles of discarded items, I directed members of the platoon to re-equip themselves with the items that had been thrown away by others."

 I would guess his experience was common during the period from November 1950 until the UN forces stabilized the front around the 38th Parallel.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 10/27/2016 2:29:49 PM

Quote:
 Re: equipment of U.S. Army.

 My father arrived in-theater for duty as a rifle platoon leader directly after the Chinese offensive in November 1950. His description to me was something like "the U.S. Army was retreating its ass off ... my platoon had lost most of their weapons and equipment ... as we moved south past piles of discarded items, I directed members of the platoon to re-equip themselves with the items that had been thrown away by others."

 I would guess his experience was common during the period from November 1950 until the UN forces stabilized the front around the 38th Parallel.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

The GIs were asked to stop T34-85s with inferior equipment. I have read later US Intel assessments and it confirms that US top brass seriously underestimated the North Korean kit, level of Soviet training and their élan in attack. The RoK also fought well.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/28/2016 2:32:02 AM
 Re:T-34s. True, in the first phase of the war (NK Army versus ROK Army and initial U.S. forces). Enough U.S. tanks, airpower, and upgraded Bazookas eventually reined in the T-34 threat. After MacArthur landed at Inchon, the NK Army more or less fell apart, allowing the U.N. forces to drive to the Yalu River. Trouble was, they hadn't cleared the hills while they pushed up the valleys. And "the hills were alive" ... with hundreds of thousands of Chinese soldiers. My father mentioned the Chinese were not as hard-core as the NK soldiers. Chinese were more apt to surrender in a tight spot; the Koreans were more fanatical. Another memory of his was of the aircraft. The first time they saw-heard USAF jet fighters they dove for cover because to that point the only people operating jet aircraft were the communists. Sounds like 1945 and the Germans with Me-262s.

 One figure the firm may want to have for the communist troops are sappers with pole charges. And the 45-mm AT guns that were used to silence U.N. heavy machine gun positions.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 10/28/2016 11:44:30 AM
Very useful info. My only surprise is the reaction to US jets. The Americans quickly established air superiority by the late summer of 1950 and I assumed that US and Navy jets would have been commonplace on CAP over Pusan pocket. Aircraft like Thunderjets, Panthers and Shooting Stars that had a capacity for ground attack. And there was simply nothing else for them to do.

Am I right in saying the MiG 15s would have arrived in the air over Korea in November 1950?

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/29/2016 2:23:09 AM
 That in-theater date for the -15 looks correct from what I can tell.

Cheers

BW
---------------

Military Wargaming    
 Forum Ads from Google