The current time is: 10/19/2017 5:47:55 PM
 Military Wargaming    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Comments requested
Posted on: 12/20/2016 5:33:25 AM
 I am working on a tactical wargame map. Most of the terrain features I've been able to work out graphically. I'm now looking at towns -- nothing super detailed. Just an indication on the map that a town is there and that doesn't look too different from the other graphics. For inspiration, I have tried to depict towns as they appeared on a 1980's series of ADAC maps.

 Below is a crop from the map. The town in the lower left uses plain grey for its objects; the town in the upper right uses a brick red with grey border. Which is more visually appealing ? Thanks for any comments.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Re: Comments requested
Posted on: 12/20/2016 9:59:53 AM
I think the red buildings stand out more, but the grey is more visually appealing and looks more like a town would look on a classic battle map. I would make them a little darker though, or perhaps put a dark border around them so they don't blend in too much with the roads.
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/20/2016 10:07:23 AM
 Thank you!

 I've been trying to build the map with resources available on the internet. It was easy enough to find patterns for forest, swamp, etc. -- but towns that had a 'look' that matched the rest of the map weren't really there. As it is, those shapes on the map in the towns are individually copied and positioned -- one of those detail-intensive activities. Your suggestions about darker color and perhaps some edging are well-taken.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/20/2016 10:16:20 AM

Quote:
I think the red buildings stand out more, but the grey is more visually appealing and looks more like a town would look on a classic battle map. I would make them a little darker though, or perhaps put a dark border around them so they don't blend in too much with the roads.
--littlepowell

littlepowell,

 Another question. Is there a particular font you would recommend for naming features on the map? The combat will be set in the 1980s. I am thinking Calibri or Times New Roman set to bold.

Cheers

BW
---------------

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/20/2016 11:56:44 AM

Quote:
--littlepowell

I would agree 100% with this.

One option would be to use the red outline for "objective" (i.e. Victory Point) towns or even single hexes in larger towns if there are specific objectives to capture and hold a certain building etc.

As a font I think bold Calibri would work well.

Let me know when you need game testers :-)
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Posted on: 12/20/2016 12:04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--littlepowell

littlepowell,

 Another question. Is there a particular font you would recommend for naming features on the map? The combat will be set in the 1980s. I am thinking Calibri or Times New Roman set to bold.

Cheers

BW

--BWilson

Yeah one of those fonts will work fine. Or you could go to one of the free font sites and grab something more stylistic. Just google military fonts and you'll find tons. Example for the Waterloo game I worked on, I used Napoleon-Lite which can be found all over the web.
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/20/2016 12:57:41 PM
 Thanks again for the comments, fellows. I want a font that looks clean, so I won't try to get too stylistic. Based on your comments, I'll probably go for a darker grey for the built-up "objects" that make up the towns.

 Re: comments from Kai. I'm still thinking over what victory conditions would be. For the scenario this map will be associated with, it will probably revolve around how many units the Soviets can move off the western side road exit. Other scenarios might be less obvious in that the players will have different objectives and it might be possible for both to "win", or, at least, achieve their objectives. One aspect of the game that I want to play up is uncertainty. Lack of firm information on how many enemy units there are and where they are (unless spotted) ... lack of information about enemy intentions. Players will get missions and be evaluated in terms of how well they accomplished the missions. Player role is intended to be one of battalion or brigade commander. Players will issue orders and be provided a situation map every turn. Ability to control units will depend on communications and morale. Factors like jamming, strikes against radio transmitters that remain immobile too long, and proficiency of subordinate leaders to accomplish tasks (does the formation take the correct fork of the road, etc.), will all add to the chaos. From the player perspective, it will be mainly issuing orders and watching how things roll out. The player will have the option to be present with one of his subordinate formations ... and run the risks of being there. Things like that.

Cheers

BW
---------------

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/20/2016 2:35:32 PM

Quote:
 Thanks again for the comments, fellows. I want a font that looks clean, so I won't try to get too stylistic. Based on your comments, I'll probably go for a darker grey for the built-up "objects" that make up the towns.

 Re: comments from Kai. I'm still thinking over what victory conditions would be. For the scenario this map will be associated with, it will probably revolve around how many units the Soviets can move off the western side road exit. Other scenarios might be less obvious in that the players will have different objectives and it might be possible for both to "win", or, at least, achieve their objectives. One aspect of the game that I want to play up is uncertainty. Lack of firm information on how many enemy units there are and where they are (unless spotted) ... lack of information about enemy intentions. Players will get missions and be evaluated in terms of how well they accomplished the missions. Player role is intended to be one of battalion or brigade commander. Players will issue orders and be provided a situation map every turn. Ability to control units will depend on communications and morale. Factors like jamming, strikes against radio transmitters that remain immobile too long, and proficiency of subordinate leaders to accomplish tasks (does the formation take the correct fork of the road, etc.), will all add to the chaos. From the player perspective, it will be mainly issuing orders and watching how things roll out. The player will have the option to be present with one of his subordinate formations ... and run the risks of being there. Things like that.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

Traditionally in games dealing with NATO-WP conflicts, the victory conditions would mirror assumed objectives in the first couple of weeks of a WP invasion - so typically be terrain based for the Soviets (i.e. how far can they advance in a given time), and units destroyed based for the NATO forces (i.e. how many Soviet units can they destroy in a certain time frame). Depending on scale and scenario (i.e. strategic/tactical) I suppose victory conditions could vary significantly from scenario to scenario and at what stage in an invasion the secenario takes place. Interestinngly enough, I don't think I have ever seen a game about NATO-WP warfare that included the option for a full scale NATO invasion of DDR and Poland etc...

I like the basic idea for the game. Fog of War greatly adds to the fun and makes it more challenging. As you mentioned before, there is also the element of randomness, that even the best laid plans and preparations can get derailed by a freak event at times. The ability for the commander to take risk and be present with a froward unit is also a nice touch that would add to the game - it would give some benefits in terms of local tactical understanding, at the cost of risk and lower overall battlefield understanding etc..

I am game whenever you need to test.
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

Military Wargaming    
 Forum Ads from Google