The current time is: 10/20/2017 5:42:39 PM
 Military Wargaming    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Lessons in computer graphics
Posted on: 12/29/2016 2:12:38 PM
 I've been working with a map of Europe to eventually make a wargame about the end of the European campaign in 1945. It has been a steep learning curve.

 Had problems overlaying a hex grid without introducing a lot of what is called "mosquito noise" -- graphical artifacts near boundaries. Finally, because the map had less than 16 colors, I figured out I could use the program to reduce the map to a 16-color palette to clean up the artifacts and then reconvert it to however many colors I want to use in the final image. The artifacts were a problem because they interfered with pattern fills that represent hills, forests, etc.

 Then I realized the artifacts continued coming back even after I had gone through the color conversion process. It finally occurred to me the recurrence was happening because I was saving the file as a .jpg -- and the compression of the jpeg standard was introducing new artifacts. Now saving as a .bmp with no compression.

 Pattern fills were excruciatingly slow because of the size of the file. Like 25 seconds to fill one tile of terrain. Then I wondered if I could introduce small breaks in the lines delineating the tiles to let the fill flow from one tile to the next. Miracle! Now entire regions fill in the same 25 seconds. With these things figured out, I should be able to complete the map in a reasonable amount of time.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Lessons in computer graphics
Posted on: 12/29/2016 3:51:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing the final product Bill!

Once you have the games done, I might have a publisher keen to take a look ...

---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Lessons in computer graphics
Posted on: 12/30/2016 1:51:17 AM
 Thanks Kai!

 Part of the map (in progress) shown below. The two rivers are the Meuse and the Rhine.

Cheers

BW

---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Military Wargaming    
 Forum Ads from Google