The current time is: 10/23/2017 4:54:11 PM
 Military Wargaming    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Recoloring a map
Posted on: 2/8/2017 4:04:13 AM
 I'm recreating the map of an old wargame, and am looking for comments regarding clear terrain color.

 The game in question is an SPI title called "World War 3". Literally global in scale, it depicts most of the world on a 68x39 hexagon map. A similar map was used in the SPI title "Global War".

 The original product uses a white (not pure but close) color for clear terrain. Most of the map is classed as "undeveloped", a catch-all for wilderness as well as inhabited regions with primitive infrastructure. Undeveloped terrain is shown as grey. One may imagine the product is a bit visually bleak. There are also coastal versions of both terrain, shown in shades of greyish-blue or sky-blue.

 Coastal terrain was primarily used in the game, I believe, to readily indicate shorelines as the design of the map does not show shorelines well (terrain colors fill the entire hex, so a coastal hex in developed terrain is all sky blue although a dim gray shoreline is drawn within the hex.

 My "recoloration" has eliminated the full-color of shore hexes, so the coastline is now readily seen. I have to review the rules, with an easily seen shoreline, there may be no need for a special color of the land terrain in shoreline hexes. So my question is this -- I am trying to make the map a bit brighter without being garish. Which color works best for clear terrain on a map of this scale ? I'm considering keeping the white, or going for a light beige color, or a moderate shade of green.

 The undeveloped terrain is another matter. I'm not thrilled with the grey color, but that catch-all covers a lot of different terrain types that are not addressed by game mechanics; that is, undeveloped is undeveloped whether arid, forested, tundra, etc. I may just leave it a shade of grey at this time. Any comments appreciated. Images below.

Image: Sample of original map terrain.

Image: Recolored sample of same.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Brian Williams
Atlanta, GA, USA
Administrator

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com
Recoloring a map
Posted on: 2/9/2017 2:06:27 PM
I have "Global War" sitting in a closet somewhere from 30+ years ago or so. I never found anyone to play it with me.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Recoloring a map
Posted on: 2/9/2017 2:10:18 PM

Quote:
I have "Global War" sitting in a closet somewhere from 30+ years ago or so. I never found anyone to play it with me.
--Brian Williams

Isn't that the general problem all of us grognards faced Brian? I remember it was difficult finding anyone to play anything more advanced than Axis & Allies.

---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Recoloring a map
Posted on: 2/10/2017 1:54:04 AM
 Yep, I agree. I have a copy of Cyberboard and there was already a gamebox for "World War 3" (and Global War as well). This map I'm doing will be added to the gamebox and I'll set up the scenarios as well so players can play on a more attractive map if they wish. I'll probably add it to the Global War gamebox as well. Comments on wargaming sites aren't too kind about these titles -- some play mechanics issues, but errata was issued, so they might be fun to fire up again. TWW in particular -- the strategic weapons could make a multiplayer, umpired game, with limited intel about other player's forces, highly interesting. Sort of a very ramped-up game of Risk.

 As an aside, I am finding it relaxing to work on the graphics of these old titles. Something about the old flat hexagon maps catches my interest much more than the modern computer multi-player networked games. The old titles are more chess-like, but with enough data and reality to make them very challenging. Oh -- I also found a scanned copy of the 1971 "Grunt" by SPI -- tactical combat in Vietnam. I may put that one up as a Cyberboard gamebox as well. There is a site with old copies of S&T magazine -- 1970s editions -- *amazing* how many good articles are in those magazines. I think people were more cerebral back then.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Recoloring a map
Posted on: 2/22/2017 1:50:41 PM
 Map is coming along.

Cheers

BW
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Recoloring a map
Posted on: 3/8/2017 1:23:01 PM
 Map is done. A fragment is shown below.

Cheers

BW
---------------

Military Wargaming    
 Forum Ads from Google