The current time is: 11/20/2017 6:00:21 PM
 Military Wargaming    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

a different wargaming engine
Posted on: 10/23/2017 11:07:04 AM
 Check out the "wargame" below, a generic depiction of four U.S. infantry divisions in the Ardennes.

 Now look at the program hosting the display. Yeess -- Microsoft Excel.

 This set-up may have some promise. Consider --

 The map is set as the spreadsheet background image and the grid lines for the sheet are turned off.

 The units are individual graphic files that can be inserted onto the map, selected, dragged around, etc.

 This could serve as either a digitization of an old paper map wargame; or -- more powerfully -- could be set up with VBA code to detect "unit collisions" (battles), and consult worksheet data and formulae to determine the outcome the battle. VBA could also serve as an AI opponent if one wanted to put enough effort into the programming.

 Comments or thoughts?

Cheers,

BW

---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

EJDJ
Parkdale, OR, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Re: a different wargaming engine
Posted on: 11/4/2017 3:06:02 PM
Want to give me some hints on how to try it?
---------------
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (Albert Einstein)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/4/2017 3:19:52 PM
Hi Ed,

 Basic items to have are a game map (the background image), rules, and individual graphic images as the unit counters and game markers. Those are probably something to create with a graphics program (each unit type is an image/file; once on the map, Excel allows the image to be copied -- eases set-up somewhat). That would allow a paper-based game to migrate to the PC using Excel as the display engine.

 The automation part would be programming intensive, but I it could be done. That kind of VBA is beyond what I know, but VBA for Excel is well documented in various books.

 Regular worksheets could be used to keep track of things like unit strength, perform die rolls (Excel formula). On my version of Excel, "Page Layout - Background" allows one to select a background image. Under "View", unchecking the "gridlines" box removes the grid so it doesn't overlay the background image. "Insert - Picture" allows me to insert graphic files, such as the "infantry division" in the example above. Right clicking on the graphic image gives options for copying the image, etc.; and clicking on the image allows it to be moved with the mouse. Hope that helps! I have only begun to explore the concept myself.

 A variant of this concept is that the game is managed by an umpire who tracks the movement of forces by two or more players and resolves combat as required. The umpire could send different versions of the game map to each player for each turn -- to reflect lack of intelligence, confusion, etc.

Cheers,

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

EJDJ
Parkdale, OR, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Posted on: 11/5/2017 1:18:34 PM
Sounds too complicated to me....
---------------
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (Albert Einstein)

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/6/2017 8:03:29 AM

Quote:
Sounds too complicated to me....
--EJDJ

 Might be. It would be tedious to port to Excel. I may try it with a game to see how much work it is and how playable the game is in that format.

Cheers

BW
---------------

Military Wargaming    
 Forum Ads from Google