Ordnance    
AuthorMessage
Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

F35A 2 OCU RAAF
Posted on: 3/3/2017 1:43:30 PM
Our first 2 F35s are visiting Avalon Airshow this weekend, they are in the markings of 2 Operational Conversion Unit, not surprisingly. Our first EA18F Growlers also arrived at Avalon on Tuesday, they belong to 6 Sqn which handed its 12 F/A18Fs to 1 sqn which I think is now the biggest sqn in the RAAF.

---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: F35A 2 OCU RAAF
Posted on: 3/3/2017 1:47:32 PM

Quote:
Our first 2 F35s are visiting Avalon Airshow this weekend, they are in the markings of 2 Operational Conversion Unit, not surprisingly. Our first EA18F Growlers also arrived at Avalon on Tuesday, they belong to 6 Sqn which handed its 12 F/A18Fs to 1 sqn which I think is now the biggest sqn in the RAAF.

--Riaindevoy

Nice. I read the AAR's from the recent Red Flag - the F35 cleaned house pretty much with a 20:1 kill ratio.
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 3/3/2017 3:00:00 PM
I read the same.

We're supposedly getting 100 F35s, but given we've just got a dozen Growlers and 2 dozen Super Hornets in 2010 I can't imagine that happening any time soon. Perhaps in 2030 when the SHs are getting old we might replace them with F35s and get close to 100, but that is a lot of elections away.

We've signed on with Norway to develop the JSM for internal F35 carriage, we'll see how that plays out.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 10:54:39 AM
And now some reports that Israel might have used F-35's to take out a Russian S-300 system at Mezzeh Airbase during their raid there on January 12th this year.

[Read More]

It is certainly possible, i.e. the F-35s were operational at the time, but I am not sure how much faith to put in this. It appears to have originated from a French newspaper column which is usually fairly accurate though.

The S-300 will have been manned by Syrians rather than Russians I would think but it is not impossible that Russians will have moved in their own systems, even an S-400 afterwards to see if they can bag a F-35. Propaganda wise that must be the ultimate wet dream for the Russians right now.
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 3:46:53 PM
Interesting that a Security Assistance customer gets an operational squadron before even the Tier 1 and 2 partners who ponied up billions for development.
---------------

Ordnance    
 Forum Ads from Google