Ordnance    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

2007: South African AA gun 'malfunctions'
Posted on: 9/24/2017 2:19:26 AM

Quote:
"As all guns commenced firing, the gun on the far right ... had a stoppage.
This is something that happens from time to time. Technicians repaired this gun, while all the other guns continued firing. This is a very normal drill.

"As they continued firing, after the gun was fixed, it swung completely to the left, and one barrel fired off a burst of 15 to 20 shots in one-eighth of a second. The ... gun immediately to the left was hit.

"This fatal burst then killed or injured members of all the guns to the left. The effect was therefore that all of those killed or injured [were hit] from the right and lost right hands, or right legs, or lost their lives."

He confirmed the total number killed was nine, and 15 injured.
[Read More]

 35-mm high explosive shells fired at point-blank range.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: 2007: South African AA gun 'malfunctions'
Posted on: 9/24/2017 6:35:10 AM
So if the weapon was set to manual control, who would be in charge of setting the range of swing of the guns?

Also, during training, would the guns be set to prevent fully interlocking fields of fire, just for safety reasons?

Could it be a manual error?

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2017 8:47:07 AM
George,

 Not sure, but here is an anecdote.

 When I was in training, we got to fire 50-caliber machine guns. As there was a nearby Air Force base with air traffic that passed over the machine gun range, the Army took the precaution of chaining the machine guns so they could not be elevated very high. How practical something like that would have been with a larger AA gun system, I don't know.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2017 9:40:36 AM
Hello BW,

I am probably questioning whether the training protocols were violated and from your anecdote, it seems clear that training protocols were likely in place. Different country, I know but I would think that the SA forces operated in a professional manner.

Probably best to wait until the investigation is finished before jumping to conclusions.

I was reading recently about the WW2, BCATP that was based in Canada. The number of training accidents was very high as they churned out air crew as quickly as possible.

Of the 856 recruits who died in training, 469 were RCAF , 291 RAF , 65 RAAF , and 31 RNZF. That seems high but perhaps not when we consider the number of air crew who graduated from the schools. Still 856 men who wanted to fight in the war, didn't even get that chance. Pretty sad development.

There were other air crew deaths in North America during the war while on operations.

It seems that for soldiers from the various services, training can be a risky proposition at times.

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 9/24/2017 9:54:10 AM
George,

 Military training is always risky. That isn't advertised by recruiters, but the guys are basically around munitions and large vehicles day and night, in all weather conditions. There are peace-time losses to be certain.

Cheers

BW
---------------

Ordnance    
 Forum Ads from Google