AuthorMessage
cpmken
Suffield, CT, USA
New User
E-2 Private

Secret Service duty in ACW
Posted on: 11/8/2016 9:34:25 AM
Not sure this is the correct place for this question but here goes:

I have a distant relative (William Henry Flint) in my family tree who served in the 26th Connecticut Volunteers. I stumbled across a mention of him in the attached book that says he was a member of the Secret Service attached to his regiment. I am curious if anyone knows what this could mean or where I could look for more info. I attached the link to the book in question. The account begins on page 306 and ends on 307 in case my bookmark does not bring you to the right spot:

https://archive.org/details/modernhistoryofn00marso

I find this fascinating and am wondering where to turn next.

Any thoughts?

jthlmnn
Milwaukee, WI, USA
top 40
E-4 Corporal

Re: Secret Service duty in ACW
Posted on: 11/10/2016 12:02:03 PM
Short answer is that Mr. Flint was a spy. From the (undated) account in that bio, he was captured behind enemy lines and apparently out of uniform.

This might be helpful to you in understanding the nature and structure of his work. [Read More]

Yours,
JohnT

Mike Johnson
Stafford, VA, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 8/27/2017 6:44:55 AM
Despite the short account saying he enlisted in the Secret Service and was attached to the 26th Connecticut, I think it was the other way around. He was undoubtedly recruited from the 26th Connecticut, where he retained his rank, and was on detached service with the Secret Service.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 8/27/2017 8:48:29 AM
Some pics of the CW Secret Service, recognize him?

[Read More]

---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Civil War - General    
 Forum Ads from Google