AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
HMS Anemone K48-1940-43
Posted on: 6/10/2017 1:54:36 PM
Hereunder a pictorial history of the ship my father served in for three years-the last two photographs are of him.Most are just snapshots and quality is I fear not good but content is plain.

[Read More]

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: HMS Anemone K48-1940-43
Posted on: 6/12/2017 11:55:52 AM
My father C/X7145 AB J Ainslie.Ex RNR & RN (D.1966) served in HMS Anemone K48 a FC corvette from July 1940-43.He was a 3 badger aged 36yrs.His normal ACTION STATION was the 2pdr pompom abaft the funnel.
Over 4 decades after his death I joined the FCC Assoc.as an assoc.member.

The Hon Sec.kindly gave me three names of surviving crewmenbers of Anemone-one of whom was a C&W OS John Arthur. He and I corresponded via email and telephone and having told him about my father;John asked me for a photo of him, along with a copy of his S459-such was the man.

Cutting a long story short he told me he recognised my father-who he knew as Jock-we come from Berwick on Tweed. He said that Jock Ainslie was the gunlayer on the forrard 4" main armament-due ,he said to the regular gunlayer.a 3 badge killick being "sick" on the morning of the 7th of January 1941- when Anemone sank the Italian sub Nani.I said that sounded incredible; but he was adamant that he was right.

Indeed we all but fell out about it, so I let it rest.
When I got my father's RNR service record -I found that he had taken a gunnery course when at HMS Pembroke.

Regards

Jim

---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: HMS Anenome K48-1940-43
Posted on: 6/12/2017 2:58:32 PM
Hi Jim,

Nice pics and story about your father's ship. You must be very proud of him!

Thanks for sharing,
Regards,
Dave
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: HMS Anemone K48-1940-43
Posted on: 6/13/2017 5:59:00 AM
Thanks Dave-Anemone was returning to the convoy after a search for a straggler and spotted this large submarine trailing behind the last ships.She fired off eight four inch shells before she was possibly hit and submerged.The captain Lt Cdr Boyes- Smith thought that the submariners must have been asleep-so slow were they to react to the shellfire.It took Anemone thereafter- ten hours to sink her with depth charges.

Regard

Jim
---------------

Naval WWII    
 Forum Ads from Google