You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/17/2017 8:20:27 PM
 Naval WWII    
AuthorMessage
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

USS Atlanta sank by USS San Francisco in Naval battle off Guadalcanal!?
Posted on: 9/28/2017 5:10:05 PM
How could the USS Atlanta been sent to the bottom of Iron Bottom Sound in WWII, mostly by friendly fire!?

[Read More]

here is an excellent short video on the great warship and the finding of her wreck!

[Read More]

another unique naval story,
Regards,
MD

Any one have the official battle report on this tragedy?? or comments, news ect??
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: USS Atlanta sank by USS San Francisco in Naval battle off Guadalcanal!?
Posted on: 9/30/2017 10:18:56 AM
I believe she did take friendly fire from the San Francisco. But she also taken a torpedo hit, IIRC, and was eventually scuttled, so I'm not sure it can be said that the San Francisco actually sank her.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/1/2017 10:08:09 PM
True Jim,

But the USS San Francisco did most of the fatal damage according to reports!

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

dt509er
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 10/15/2017 2:55:29 PM
Richard B. Frank in his book; Guadalcanal; The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle, provides compelling evidence of the hits Atlanta took; "Atlanta was also struck, however, by nineteen projectiles identified as 8-inch, undoubtedly from San Francisco in view of the direction from which they came and their telltale green dye. (For purposes of spotting "splashes" for gunfire adjustment when several ships are firing, bags of dye were loaded in shells to color the splashes..."). "Seven of these 8-inch hits were grouped in an area measuring 6 yards high by 8 yards wide and smashed through flag plot, the passageway outside of flag plot, sky lookout, and the radio and coding rooms."

"The largest shells to strike Atlanta were those from San Francisco, for, contrary to some accounts, Atlanta's report does not show any hits by 14-inch shells." (such as those that would have come from Japanese ships).

There is no doubt the Japanese torpedo from Akatsuki sank the Atlanta however, the hits prior to San Francisco's barrage struck Atlanta hard as she received 5 & 6-inch shells from Akatsuki and Hiei . IMO, the hits from San Francisco were hits that wiped out Scott and Atlanta's staff and, were hits that ensured Atlanta was finished as a fighting/sailing craft.
---------------
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..."

I take offense to your perception of being offended!

“If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford

Michigan Dave
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 10/16/2017 3:38:35 PM

Quote:
Richard B. Frank in his book; Guadalcanal; The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle, provides compelling evidence of the hits Atlanta took; "Atlanta was also struck, however, by nineteen projectiles identified as 8-inch, undoubtedly from San Francisco in view of the direction from which they came and their telltale green dye. (For purposes of spotting,

"The largest shells to strike Atlanta were those from San Francisco, for, contrary to some accounts, Atlanta's report does not show any hits by 14-inch shells." (such as those that would have come from Japanese ships).

There is no doubt the Japanese torpedo from Akatsuki sank the Atlanta however, the hits prior to San Francisco's barrage struck Atlanta hard as she received 5 & 6-inch shells from Akatsuki and Hiei . IMO, the hits from San Francisco were hits that wiped out Scott and Atlanta's staff and, were hits that ensured Atlanta was finished as a fighting/sailing craft.
--dt509er

dt,
That is exactly my point!
MD
---------------

Naval WWII    
 Forum Ads from Google