Naval Post-WWII to Current    
AuthorMessage
Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

US Troopships in Vietnam.
Posted on: 6/3/2017 5:07:27 PM
It's funny what you come across when reading about other stuff. I was reading about the RAN in Vietnam and in particular the use of the former carrier HMAS Sydney as a troopship and in a throwaway line it was mentioned that in 1965 the US some 11 troopships in service each capable of carrying some 2000 troops. Not something I've thought about since I read 'Chickenhawk' at 15, a bit more sniffing around and it turns out that the US used troopships extensively in the first few years of the Vietnam war, only turning to aircraft for the bulk of troop movements later. The latest troopships appear to have been built in the late 40s and in peacetime were used for shuttling US forces around on deployment and postings.

USNS Geiger

Interestingly enough Australia also found that the Sydney wasn't enough to meet our needs and chartered a weekly QANTAS 707 flight from 1968 for personnel movements, but still used the Sydney for the rotation of almost entire battalions.

---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Re: US Troopships in Vietnam.
Posted on: 6/4/2017 12:41:04 PM
I have a book on the US Army's Navy around here someplace, I'll dig it out and post the title.

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 6/5/2017 10:22:57 AM

Quote:
I have a book on the US Army's Navy around here someplace, I'll dig it out and post the title.
--OpanaPointer

U.S. Army Ships and Watercraft of World War II, by David H. Grover. It will give you names to research at a minimum.

Riaindevoy
Geelong, Australia
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 6/5/2017 11:00:52 PM
Defence library service has it, it's on the way.
---------------
Vegetarian: the ancient tribal word for the villiage idiot; who was too stupid to hunt, fish and ride!

Naval Post-WWII to Current    
 Forum Ads from Google