The Military Media Room    
AuthorMessage
Ascalon
Bedford, UK
New User
E-2 Private

A clash of Sabres .
Posted on: 4/10/2017 11:49:48 AM
As an old cavalry trooper I have long been interested in the sharp end of cavalry conflict. There are very few accurate depictions of this that display sword upon sword as well as a picture shown in the Ken Burns documentary series about the U.S. Civil War. This shows a clash between a Confederate and a Federal trooper in which the latter ( I think ) is attempting to capture the Confederate battle flag, and is delivering a back slash with his sabre to his enemies head in order to do so.

I may well have reversed the roles of the troopers, and apologise to the Confederates if so. Since I would like to study this picture, please can anyone offer a link to it or details of it ?

Thanks,
Ascalon. Late of the 17th. - 21st. Lancers. " Death or Glory " boys.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: A clash of Sabres .
Posted on: 4/10/2017 1:05:04 PM

Quote:
As an old cavalry trooper I have long been interested in the sharp end of cavalry conflict. There are very few accurate depictions of this that display sword upon sword as well as a picture shown in the Ken Burns documentary series about the U.S. Civil War. This shows a clash between a Confederate and a Federal trooper in which the latter ( I think ) is attempting to capture the Confederate battle flag, and is delivering a back slash with his sabre to his enemies head in order to do so.

I may well have reversed the roles of the troopers, and apologise to the Confederates if so. Since I would like to study this picture, please can anyone offer a link to it or details of it ?

Thanks,
Ascalon. Late of the 17th. - 21st. Lancers. " Death or Glory " boys.
--Ascalon

Ascalon,

 Found these images. Not exactly what you describe, but close. The second is interesting because the positions of the two horses appears almost identical as that depicted in the first image.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/10/2017 4:33:14 PM
Ascalon, I really suck at making links (especially photos) but just google search "painting battle of Brandy Station" and the image of that you have described (accurately) comes up in images.

Welcome to the site, Morris
---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 4/10/2017 4:49:57 PM
Welcome to MHO.

This may be what you’re looking for;

The title is "Fight for the Standard", artist unknown, 1865.

---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/10/2017 10:51:59 PM
Bingo Rick! Thanks.

Respects, Morris
---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

The Military Media Room    
 Forum Ads from Google